Gloomhaven tray system - First Project

Since there are some other gamers on the thread, can anyone recommend good co-op games that might appeal to an Arkham Horror crew? I’m hoping to find something that scratches the same itch, BUT is a bit faster to play with 5-6 players. A big AH game takes flippin’ forever.

I’d suggest Pandemic: Legacy. Gloomhaven is good, but each session will probably last 2 hours, minimum.

1 Like

Also, definitely interested in building this for our copy of GH.

There are many families and themes of cooperative mechanism games. Maybe this cooperative-mechanism sorted list can help you to start narrow in on something.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2023/co-operative-play

AH can take 4-5 at our leisurely pace, 2-ish hours would be great.

I’ll look into both games, thanks.

I like Dead of Winter, Forbidden Island/Desert, and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

My gaming group is mostly younger by about 15 years. Still they love the bigger older games. If you can get a copy of Avalon Hill’s ‘Civilisation’ you would find it a winner with 6 players…
It is long, yes. But unlike ‘Arkam Horror’ it doesn’t lag in the middle stages

I echo the votes on Pandemic and Dead of Winter, but will warn you about the 6 player trap. I find so many of these games and they are great, but have 5 player caps. Betrayal at House on the Hill is an excellent game at the time frame and for the player group you are looking at and will sit 6.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll put it on the list.

I was thinking of converting this myself to work on the GlowForge. How many sheets does it take?

I’d absolutely love the files if you wouldn’t mind sharing. If I can’t make my own I’ll have to purchase a set, and most good ones run around $100 after shipping!

I did it in 6, but there was a fair amount of negative space on 2 sheets. Part of my time with v2 is going to see if I can’t tighten that up to 5. If I am willing to really condense it to some shared edges and cross layer mixing (OP had each sheet isolated, but if I printed some of layer 2 on the sheet for layer 4 and so on) I think it might be doable.

Did you need adjust all of the slots and tabs for the difference between OP’s 3mm design and the Proofgrade thickness of 1/8" (3.175mm)? Or was it close enough that everything still fit? I’ve been working on my own modification of that design for a couple weeks but have only had a little time here and there to look at it. This is an issue I’ve been worried about.

I have the game, but haven’t played yet. I’ve organized my bits into plano boxes following another project on the web. However, I might have to do this instead! Wooden boxes just fit the genre of the game so much better than plastic.

Really nice work!

John

I found the difference in size workable, the draft board seems a little forgiving and a few light mallet whacks got everything in nice and snug. The tray for the standees was a little tight just because there was so much side to side pressure from all the walls that the tray corners didn’t sit clean, but it was nothing a dab of glue couldn’t hold together and I ended up doing that in all the trays anyway just to give more resistance to wear and tear.

2 Likes

6 Isn’t bad! After downloading the originals and looking them over I assumed it was going to take over 10. Please let me know when you decide to share the files, I don’t know if I can go another game session digging through the mess that I currently have.

Ha!

I would love the files as well. My manager is a big gloomhaven fan, and I could really score some “brownie” points by cutting this fro him.

Great job!

Did you ever get a chance to tweak your modifications? I found this one on Thingiverse that looks like it modified the same base design, but when I load it into the app it is a little too large for the :glowforge: bed. Would love to see how it looks with the added art if you ever got around to it.

Sorry about the slow reply. Sadly the project got back burner’d for a bit as higher priority things came up. I did get a condensed version started but it was when I had first started and didn’t have enough experience to watch my kerfs and I broke all the tab fits.

I will definitely post the full project when I get back to it though, along with the art files (I find I prefer to do my engraves off of .png so I build them separate and upload them into the project directly so there will be extra files available in case people feel like adding the art or not).

@MrPantz Did you ever get back to this? Maybe you can share (slash I’d happily pay for) the project file you used thus far for what you posted even if it’s not finished? Would love to make something for my GH set and base it off your excellent work!