GlowForge and Dry Moly Lube!

I’ve moved this to #beyond-the-manual due to the discussion of non-ProofGrade settings, as per forum policy.

6 Likes

Nice and dark! Just ordered some of that stuff, $10 instead of $50 makes it a no- brainer.

6 Likes

Looks perfect! Sweet!

2 Likes

Followed your directions and it turned out nice!!!

8 Likes

Awesome! Glad i could help!!

2 Likes

You inspired me to take the plunge:

Three coats of moly
Full power / 150 / 450 lpi

Photo above is after alcohol wipes and a hard scrubbing with a green pad, soap, and hot water. :sunglasses:

19 Likes

Turned out great! Nice to hear I inspired someone =)

What brand/color Dry Moly did you use ?

1 Like
5 Likes

Based on your post, I was inspired by your result - and the price. It came today, and with the help of a heat gun I had this done in less than 10 minutes after Amazon rang the doorbell. :sunglasses:

9 Likes

It’s also available at auto parts stores (Advance Auto, ORielly, etc) and Walmart for local “I want it now” fulfillment :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Great. that the one I got. was only $9.95. Thanks

1 Like

Love it. Nice work!

1 Like

Well…

I knew this wasn’t going to be perfect because this spoon is curved, so mostly I just wanted to see how the marking looked in person. I had to stop the engrave just before the end because (apparently) the laser was reflecting off the surface and burning into the camera assembly (causing enough smoke to be alarming). It probably could have been cleaned better, but I was more concerned about damage to my GF.

Now I feel somewhat dim-witted about this, but I guess I don’t really know that much about stainless steel. I think the spoon is stainless, but it’s definitely shiny. Thoughts? Also, let this be a warning to others who know nothing about stainless steel… Don’t set your GF on fire.

1 Like

Oh my goodness! Yeah, they warn about trying to laser reflective things…guess that’s shiny enough to be a problem. (Really cute little hedgie though.) :confused:

1 Like

YIKES! yea with the bottle openers I used they weren’t shiny at all :grimacing:

1 Like

I just did this on my pocket knife. Now I’m wondering how well it would work for putting large numbers on my socket sets.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community!

I really like that tool labeling idea :sunglasses:

1 Like

It turned out great! Silly question. Did you mask it prior to engraving?

I did not.

1 Like