Glowforge friendly fire extinguisher

@celesteprobichaux I was thinking the same thing so we can be ignorant together:-)

2 Likes

Upside down canned air sprays out super cold liquid propellant - it can discolor things and cause frost bite. (this is a common trick among fabricators for quick cooling hot glue)

A refillable type CO2 extinguisher costs a little more but wouldn’t harm electronics.

6 Likes

Is the propellant flammable?

2 Likes

Extremely. Do not spray “canned air” on a fire! It’s not air! Depending on the brand, it could be a mix of hydrocarbons, difluoroethane, or dimethyl ether. This would be a TERRIBLE IDEA.

14 Likes

Ok, @Deleted, does this change your mind? I sure hope so. Not only would it not put out the fire, bu also it would flare up, and possibly burn you and a lot more than your GF.

I have a feeling you knew this all along.

You all where RIGHT!!!

2 Likes

I was thinking the result might be similar to hairspray. Much better is the pull lever kind that has no pressure and can refill.
Filled with water a fine spray will stop almost any likely fire and in extreme cases I spray before cutting as the point of cut will not be bothered by the wet, it will inhibit any scorching nearby.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivaplex-4-Large-24-oz-Sturdy-Empty-Plastic-Spray-Bottles-with-Black-Trigger-Sprayers/862618670?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101056570&&adid=22222222227399932864&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=502032198690&wl4=pla-1191598148372&wl5=9012119&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=328557243&wl11=online&wl12=862618670&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZp1mFMMX9wr5qLWUkQ7OjRokDg3WNTzhfvKNHZz8xIICNldaubsiHvhoCYugQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 Likes

My cat uses that on me, when I misbehave.

7 Likes

Canned air is not a good choice for extinguishing a fire, upside down or not, small fire or full blown blaze of glory. Spend a couple hundred dollars and get yourself a true halon fire extinguisher, puts out fires quickly, without and mess, so there’s no cleaning up anything other than the materials that burned.

1 Like

Halon is the extinguishing agent of choose for electronics. Here’s what many of the early purchasers opted for:

Amerex A384T, 1.4lb Halotron I Class B C Fire Extinguisher https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5CK0S0/

From one of the many threads on fire extinguishers:

6 Likes

OK, OK , I will admit this was a ‘pot stirrer’ post, It was TRUTH I did think it, and wondered, what a dust off would do, but I have a ‘server closet’ in my office, and a Halotron fire extinguisher mounted (and I added a fire blanket on the recommendation of here) to my setup.

5 Likes

I keep a wet paper towel in a bowl next to my GF when ever i cut cardboard or paper.

2 Likes

I just learned last week that the best thing was a damp rag nearby. I actually keep a damp rag next to my GF whenever I’m using it, no matter what the material, but especially paper or cardboard. A lot easier and no mess. I figured if I had to use the fire extinguisher (which I bought specifically for the GF), I would have such a mess I’d have to buy a new GF anyway. Damp towel will only mean replacing the material I’m using if I catch any fire soon enough.

4 Likes

Still stirring… the mounted extinguisher appears to be a standard auto/marine, sodium bicarbonate extinguisher. Definitely not Halotron.

Not really, Halotron leaves a fine powder residue not good for computers, and halon is dangerous to breath, The one mounted is class 1,2 & 3 fires - the fire blanket is for the glowforge.

Jonathan

PS: I did say it was a Halotron, my bad. I did misspoke

1 Like

Holy smokes, look at all that gear!

1 Like

well… I am… a MACGEEK. . . . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

ya halon extinguishers are amazing. I was at a junkyard one time and a guy was in there trying to sell the own some BLAZEGUARD fire extinguishers. they were halon.

the demo things the guy did were amazing. the owner held a lighter at one end of the counter. the sales guy “puffed” a short burst of halon from the other end toward the flame. a second later the flame was out. You damn sure wouldn’t want to be in a server room when the system discharged.

2 Likes

Inside the Glowforge I don’t think you could have a fire that would stand up to a fine water spray unless you were doing something weird like trying to cut magnesium.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.