Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

I am not entirely surprised, as it seemed like only in the last week has a real beta tester been able to use the machine, so having all that testing wrapped up and items starting to ship in a short few months seemed tight. In the end we all want a machine that works and does what it says, so I understand taking the time to get it right. I’ve had to inform customers of delays and it’s decidedly not fun, so I feel ya @dan The free materials are appreciated, it’s more than most companies would do.

I’m still disappointed though, as this puts a serious delay in a product release that I was really planning for the middle of the year. The Glowforge and its capabilities are an integral aspect of the design and the only realistic way I can produce the item to my standards (yes, technically I could pay a 3rd party ridiculous fees per piece but the cost, amount of experimentation needed and lack of control just doesn’t make that viable). Not having the GF until the end of the year is going to put a big ding in my release schedule. There’s nothing I can do but wait now (unless they toss me on the Beta bus at some point) but now I probably have to develop some new product to fill the gap so I have something in front of my customers. Crumbs.

I know we’ll get them and I’m sure they will live up to the expectations we all have, but not seeing it for another 8-9 months is going to feel really long.

3 Likes

@joker, have you looked into renting time on a laser at a local makerspace? Makerspaces are opening up all over the place, and while it won’t be the fastest method, you’ll pay minimal fees.

1 Like

Morgan, agreed. But if you’re doling out a good chunk of money for a product, and there are frequent delays, and some of those delays are due to product issues, that’s something that the people who are paying that money deserve to know about. If you bought a new car, and it was recalled later for ‘unknown reasons’, fixed, and returned to you, wouldn’t you want to know if it was for brakes cutting out vs. the threading on the car seat fabric coming undone, and if it’s an issue that may arise later, again?? I know it’s an extreme comparison, but it would be ‘nice’ for the consumers to know exactly what caused the issues, and whether those issues have potential to affect actual functionality of the product, or it’s something that’s more cosmetic? To use an example that may work with this scenario:

Let’s say if in their testing, the GF team found out that the 45W laser gives out after XXX hours of use (just making up numbers, but bear with me here), and that happens to fall on the time after the warranty expires, isn’t that something you would like to know? As a consumer, I wouldn’t want to know about every single issue, but if it IS a major one that may affect the promised functionality of the GF in the future, I DO want to know about it.

Bottom line: as good as it is of the Dan and his team to offer perks to soften the latest issues, it’s simply frustrating to hear about yet another delay.

1 Like

I, like everyone, am really disappointed. I had a strong feeling that when SO many people invested in the original campaign it was going to have an effect on shipping. Hard to imagine how an ‘order of magnitude’ difference in demand would not cause SOME delay. I also feel like it shows that this thing is really a big deal. The capability this will put on my desk is something I have LONG been waiting for. It is clear other people see its potential also. The product promised will be shipped - I have a lot of confidence in that

5 Likes

Well said Brandon. I am hoping that will also be the case.

Thanks. It may happen a lot but that doesn’t make us feel any better that it happened to us. Or more to the point, to all of you.

Right now we’re focused on all of you, but I see no reason other laser owners can’t place orders for it as well. We’re really proud of the materials we’re having custom-made and I don’t think there’s anything like it available right now on the market.

I’m so sorry, Hannah. I don’t blame you for being upset and I wish we hadn’t let you down.

Thank you. As a dad who spends a lot of time thinking about what kids are going to do during the summer, I know how important this can be, and I’m so very sorry we let you down. We’re going to redouble our efforts to make the product worth waiting for.

I am sorry. I don’t blame you for being upset, and I truly apologize.

@bailey is sitting next to me investigating this with our email provider directly. We’ll get it set right ASAP.

Thank you. Right now we’re planning to send everyone the same assortment, as individually packing and shipping materials could take longer.

It will definitely be available for purchase (and it’s a dream to work with as you can see from some of the leather projects we’ve posted), we just haven’t figured out if we’ll be able to include any in the materials we send you.

Yes! Just email support@glowforge.com and we can get you set up with the ebook version.

We’re not including the shipping cost (which we’re going to pay on your behalf) when we say it’s $150 worth of materials.

I apologize for the confusion; the top part was meant as a summary. Glowforge Founder status is permanent; that will get you a 10% materials and designs discount through 2017. We may do more as well later.

and I <3 your reaction gif.

7 Likes

Oh no! This puts me up shit’s creek without a paddle. I lost my job recently, and I was desperately counting on using the Glowforge to make up that monetary loss this year. I have no idea what I’m going to do now.

Totally understand the frustration, but just to play devil’s advocate, while car manufacturers tell you what specific recalls concern, they also don’t let you know every issue they run into while developing a new car. I certainly imagine that if a Glowforge had an issue after final delivery that was covered under warranty, they would let you know what the issue was.

5 Likes

Thanks @bailey! I know you guys are slammed so you dont have to rush to respond immediately, just so long as you get back to me at some point. Would hate for shipment address inquiry to go out and I never received it or something along those lines. Or even miss another update. Either way… Thanks and good luck (cc: @dan)

2 Likes

That really sucks. I’m not sure what your price range is and the size of projects that you have in mind, but if you bought a GF pro and don’t desperately need the pass-through or camera, Rockler has a pretty well-reviewed 45W laser for $3,850. 20"x12" base, no filter so it has to be window vented.

3 Likes

Unlike most here, I’m not one that drinks the Kolaid. Not my way.

So, interestingly enough, both moving production to a U.S facility (which I am personally in favour of as an anti exploitation “free” trade guy) and showering us with $2,000,000 of gifts does put Glowforge at an increased risk of failure on the financial side.

Given the choice between financial viability and a not so small pacifier, I would choose financial viability. The units are not on the delivery truck yet.

I’ve backed enough things to understand delays. I work in tech, too. So I understand both risk and schedule slips.

What I don’t understand is the lack of timely communication about this.
If I’d seen updates about the problematic Power Supplies sooner, especially that they were on a 5+ month slip, then I’d be understanding.

I’m left feeling frustrated, betrayed, and frankly embarrassed (for myself for not being more skeptical, and for you for making such a non-productive mistake) at the lack of communication that occurred here. Will there be any kind of post-mortem on the lack of communication that occurred prior to this?

You should have been in to dry runs and production ramp by now and /only/ now was this six month delay communicated.

On the scale of the project, you’re nearly doubling the perceived timeline of this project with under 15% of the timeline remaining (from the marketed pre-order campaign). The optics here are terrible.

The compensation is great - thanks for trying to make right, but there was always an easier option: be more communicative.

7 Likes

Question regarding the beta program. Hopefully this won’t kick me out since technically this isn’t an email…lol
When I first signed up, I was not on the forums so alot of my answers were either lacking or probably lame.
My question is when deciding on who gets betas, is @dan involved in that decision since now I’m alot more active on here or should resubmit with better knowledge of what may be needed and flash my regular and VIP status. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestion, but I haven’t paid off the Glowforge yet. I have no funds left for anymore purchases. I need to figure out what to do with what I already have, but most importantly, how to get people to see and buy my products. I spent a lot of money on advertising this year as well, and it did nothing for me. God, I have no idea how people actually make a living with their own shops.

Im thinking about trying out one of those K40s in the meantime. I really want a laser, and have so many things that need to be lasered. Also I think my room might overflow with cardboard by next december LOL

3 Likes

I don’t know that you should feel betrayed here. Dan is probably one of the most gifted salesmen ever to have walked this earth. In my entire career I have never encountered his equal in that line and I have seen a few great ones. And that is not meant as a criticism of Dan, more an observation. And an explanation as to today’s post.

I think she was suggesting a refund on the Glowforge and the purchasing of this other unit. (we would be sad to see you go)

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, figured so much.

You’re owning this and it’s hard to not associate that with your commitment to the product itself. Nothing but admirable if not amazing.

I can’t do that either, because the money wouldn’t be in my pockets. I had to do a balance transfer to continue paying the bill on the GF. I’m not going to give up on the GF now, I’m just really freaked out right now. This took me by shock. I thought a delay might be a couple months at the most.

2 Likes

I don’t think people are actively trying to sound holier-than-thou. The Glowforge team has expressed time and time again that they empathize with the plights individual purchasers are going through.

They’re giving away free material. They’re literally giving away their profits from material and store sales for a year by offering 10-20% discounts.

Even at 18% interest for six months, a $2000 purchase is less than $187.

If anyone is in the position of having put (and leaving) a crowdfunding purchase on their credit card, then I’d offer this financial advice: DON’T. Get a bank loan for the amount at a lower interest rate and pay off your credit card.

If you can’t get a loan or you’re still so “bummed”, seek out the no-questions-asked refund. Food is more important.

5 Likes