Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

Boom! This Topic has just passed every other Glowforge forum topic for having the most community replies. Yay! (really trying to highlight the positive)

10 Likes

CE certification is something that has been discussed and answered before. Yes they are going after the certification. No info on that as yet but recently it was stated that should there be any unexpected problems you would know well in advance and could get a refund. I’ll see if I can find the most recent post for you.

2 Likes

Ok great as long we get informed before the shipping takes place it’s ok so we can avoid costs.

Thank you

This one is real dumb… Could someone post a link to the Beta Forum? I’ve gone to the root and found Josh’s post. That seems to be in a public area because Dan said he told him not to share details in the comments. Am I blind or is it hidden? I’m logged in with my purchasing account. Thanks!

“Thank you - we really struggled to figure out what was the right way to express our gratitude and thanks for your support.
More to come.”

@dan May I suggest an extension on our 6 month warranty? That is probably the only thing that hasnt sat comfortably in my head. I understand it’s pretty much an industry standard. But the glowforge isn’t a standard! Plus it’s being built in the US now instead of China, so I’m sure you’d feel more comfortable offering that :wink:

It does sting, not getting it in June but I’d rather have a functioning product. As long as I eventually get it, I’m good! Thank you for being honest Dan.

4 Likes

No special forum.

Obviously I’m not Dan, but if you have it shipped to you in the states before the end of the year, wouldn’t you have to pay to later have it shipped to Japan? Whereas if you wait until you move it only gets shipped once. Overall it seems like the shipping cost would be cheaper and it might be better for the unit. Unless I’m missing something obvious.

We’ll this is my second delay on this thing. I ordered mine in November and was told I would get it in April (yes this month) and now I won’t receive it until December or early 2017! My question is has anyone received this thing yet??? I’m asking for a full refund. I could not be more disappointed as I have been eagerly waiting to start my business and all I get is delays. I’d be more patient if I had faith that I’d actually receive this printer.

What happens if you receive a significant amount of requests for refund? What backing do you have to sustain that sort of loss if you lose 50 percent or more of your customers that pre-ordered? How can we as customer have assurance that you will be able to deliver in December? Can you please provide us a update on how many people have already pulled back their funds? Some of us the money is not a trivial amount .

That’s odd. I also ordered in November (first week of Nov) and I was told to expect mine in the 3rd quarter, that is, by October. Where did you see the April thing?

I’m sure the company doesn’t want to lose anyone but the numbers do not appear to be worrisome. As of 5 hrs ago:

1 Like

Or if there is, it’s probably only enabled on an account by account basis, which takes a minute to script up.

One issue with the warranty is that it needs to stand up to user abuse, too, since some people will inevitably break their lasers and demand a warranty replacement; in some cases it’s probably not possible for the company to determine the difference between actual and fabricated claims, requiring them to attend to each one equally. That’s more of a constant pressure / consideration, unlike the quality variable, which you can modify by selecting a different fabrication house.

Have there been any updates on the air filter? How many use hours it will have. Replacement costs. That sort of thing? And speaking of replacement costs, how much will the custom laser tube be to replace?

1 Like

No updates. Less than $250 for the filter, less than $500 for the tube. No predicted usage for either other than the tube manufacturer says 2 year lifespan.

Dan, you had the knowledge, the curiousity, the ingenuity, and the guts to run out there and say, “I can put a laser on your desk that nobody else can.” It’s no surprise forging a new frontier comes with a few unexpected turns along the way. Pretty sure Lewis & Clark probably had some people wondering what happened to them when their trip took them longer than they planned, but nobody had any idea what they would encounter.

Yeah, so I don’t get my new, baby, exotic pet as soon as I want. Is it a bummer? Little bit. But you’re birthing an elephant—everything you knew about growing a baby “anything” fits a 9-month time period. How were you supposed to know gestation for an elephant is 22-months?! I’d rather have that baby elephant when it’s darn good and ready to be born than yell at the vet that it’s past the 9-month deadline I so desparately wanted—forcing them to induce a premie with all complications THAT could cause.

People wanna bail? Let 'em. They probably shouldn’t have been investing in this thing anyway until they could order it from Amazon and have a drone fly it to their place within the week. While there will probably be those who make some substantial money from their Glowforge, I highly doubt it was going to the be quick-fix money tree so many of these backers were dreaming it would be.

You’re still putting the laser on my desktop that nobody else can, and for that reason, I will sit here and continue dreaming and learning and preparing for the day I can finally start lasering all the things.

*(All that being said, given the holiday shipping nightmares, I’d be all for it if you happened to add a little “Christmas” present for those of us who pre-ordered and—“Surprise!” they show up a few weeks earlier than expected so we can make some cool gifts to give out this year… but hey, that’s just me).

11 Likes

P.S. You ever come to Chicago area, I’ll drive the two hours to buy you that coffee or dinner I mentioned the other day on Josh’s post. Dead serious. Sounds like you could use it.

2 Likes

I’m happy to accept this in Dan’s stead, as I really appreciate a good deep dish pie + beer night once a year.

3 Likes

I don’t know - you could check with the support team (support@glowforge.com)?[quote=“frankbackes, post:286, topic:1908”]
As we sold the device already and our custoner is aware of this risk, we concluded a reverse deal what could lead in making our customer and us lose on this situation as we both took shared risks.
[/quote]
Unfortunately we can’t support resellers, as Glowforge is intended only for sale directly to consumers at this time.

For now, beta posts are in the Laser Made forum.

I’m sorry we let you down. We’ll have your full refund processed immediately.

Then everyone else gets their Glowforge units a lot sooner.

9 Likes

Something to keep in mind depending on your credit card: your card provider may also offer additional warranty coverage as part of any purchase. I’d also check the terms of your card coverage, regardless what the warranty is.

1 Like