Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

(Proofgrade) Material Girl

12 Likes

Soft and hardware are interrelated but still, at some point you have a stake in the ground and you can say, “the camera alignment system works like this” regardless of how the laser power (or whatever) is being controlled. I wish we could see more evidence of the user-facing feature evolution.

If truly the software has to wait until the hardware is 90% buttoned up then I worry we’ll be disappointed in what we get. It takes a long time to make good software! Even if you don’t have technical challenges it takes a long time to get it polished, easy to use, and supporting all your important use cases. If there is supposed to be a GF box on my doorstep in December, the software had better be pretty far along today.

But, I guess I would rather have them working on the GF than spending time making demos for us!

4 Likes

You mean it’s not “Like a Sturgeon”?? :wink:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far in that direction normally, but now that you have, I want you to know that I appreciate your humor. I often have parodies running in my head while listening to the radio. It’s a good way to pass the time while listening to the 2-3 pop radio stations that my kids must always be listening to while driving places.

1 Like

What is the cutoff date for people who will be receiving their machine this year? I ordered mine on October 22nd. Did I make the cut, or do I get mine shipped sometime next year?

1 Like
1 Like

You are a day ahead of me, and near as I can figure I’m at around the 6,000 mark.
Yes, we made it! Barely.

We would really like to see some examples of your work!
How about a peek in the “Show &Tell” thread?
Personally I am a big fan of kinetic art.

5 Likes

I will post a couple of photos. Thanks for asking.

5 Likes

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock. . . Time passes away. . .

Today is the 6 month anniversary of the April 19 announcement of the 6 month delay.

How time flies. . .

So if we make it past today, October 19, does that bode well for not hearing another 6 month delay announcement?

Fingers crossed people. :weary:

10 Likes

It has been a long journey, and impossible to see every bump in the road,
but lets hope they just repaved the rest of the road in front of us and we
have smooth sailing from here.

Given my student loans and lack of a car, buying a Glowforge last November
was exactly “Financially Responsible” but I see some pretty amazing
possibilities/opportunites if this bad boy works the way they say it will.
My fingers are crossed for an email saying “Your Glowforge is ready, whats
your address?”

But I’m tired of constantly getting asked “So… where is your expensive
printer?” in a mocking tone by my “friends”, I look forward to having those
questions stop, as well as being “sick” the day my Glowforge is set to
arrive.

Also does anyone know if there is a proper queue for shipping? In the sense
that if you ordered before Oct 25 you should get it before the end of Dec,
but If I ordered it like on the 15th of November, should I be expecting it
in January rather than Feb or March?

FunFact: This is also my longest forum post, ever. This is a good
community, I will try to contribute more and not just ramble incoherently
about things no one cares about.

20 Likes

So far all that’s been promised is an either/or. If you ordered by the 25th you’ll get it by the end of December. If you ordered after that it’s March. They’ve not announced any interim deliveries. So if you’re a Nov 15th orderer, then you’ll be looking at March 2017 for delivery. Maybe they’ll ship sooner, but no guarantees and I wouldn’t count on it based on history. If they use the full production run to get the first orders out then need to restock spares, etc and then do production runs for the rest. They’re likely going to pay the production line extra for the first set so they get them all out (priority production). The go-forward stuff would be on normal production line scheduling which suggests that they could possibly ship in Jan/Feb but my bet is they let things settle in Jan, make tweaks in Feb and do it again for March.

That speculation is worth exactly what you paid for it :smile:

6 Likes

Darn James, coming at me with the higher probability outcome. I’m going to just cross my fingers my order somehow got mixed in with the “before Oct 25” lot and expect it before 2017…

That, or send Dan a dollar in the mail with “You know what to do” written on it, no return address, no note, just that dollar.

13 Likes

Thank you for jumping in to post, nothing in that was a ramble.

I expect the environment around here will shift to something just short of a seismic event once someone pops in here announcing they got that email!
“What are you doing? It’s 3 in the morning!?”
“Just checking email sweetheart…”

13 Likes

Every one of us…well, almost every one of us, rambles on about most everything under the sun, so no worries there! We’ll all look forward to your seeing you around here more often. :grinning:

10 Likes

(I refuse to give up rambling. Or tangents. Or memes.)

15 Likes

As a small business, the Investment in the Glowforge was a stretch for my budget, however, the potential to do some amazing things for my existing products as well as opening the door for future products was well worth it.
I of course went all in with the Pro model… In for a Penny … In for a Pound.
I am naturally disappointed by the delay and would love to have my glowforge now but am in for the long haul. How would I go about getting a beta unit to test? Is that an option. I would love to have some of the bugs worked out on my end so that when my Unit… (he he I said Unit) … arrives I am able to hit the ground running.
Ever the fan and supporter of Innovation… Thanks

9 Likes

As I understand it @steelkrazy, it is not too late to sign up for beta, which you can do from a link at the bottom of this post. This is also how you would sign up for a pre-release unit.

Good luck!

8 Likes

…a chance at a pre-release or beta. :slight_smile:

I second this one too – being vegan, I won’t be working with leather either. I just hadn’t thought that far ahead on this – I’m really glad @LauraM said something. :slight_smile:

4 Likes