Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

I received the email. It’s the first one I’ve received from glowforge since the original June 2016 shipping announcement??? At any rate it’s been a very long time. So I don’t think you’ve missed out (if you have, we both have) on any others once Bailey fixes your email issue.

Christmas isn’t the perfect time! My wife gets Christmas week off; I don’t. If that happens, she’ll get hooked on the Glowforge and I’ll never get to use it :scream:

8 Likes

Actually, at the time I ordered I was carefully watching the USD/CAD exchange rate. I’m $66 ahead of when I started! Whoot! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear that most of us have stuck with you!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the honest email Dan, that was the right thing to do. And… better to make the scheduling longer with hopes to pull it in, then run up against it again later on. Design is a complex thing, especially if you are trying to use a proprietary PSU design… now that is complicated…

So, my request… we need to try and negotiate something! How about a steeper discount on the design catalog for the first year? There is no material cost for GF to worry about in the design catalog, and people might actually buy more Proofgrade materials if we had lower cost access to the design catalog during that first year… How about it??

Good point. But how much more sad if it came in right after and had to sit at home all alone while both of you are at work? It could get separation anxiety!

2 Likes

No, there’s no point in me doing a refund really, and I truly don’t want to. I don’t even know how to use a refund on a balance transferred card to pay the new card off. The Glowforge bill is just an added expense to other life expenses that I will have in the coming year. It was the addition of the machine to help pay those expenses that I was hoping for. I need a new plan now, and it’s scary. I feel like my brain has given up on me.

I’m not upset with the Glowforge crew. I love your company. I’m just freaking out is all. Reacting to the news.

2 Likes

I just bawled my eyes out… I’ve been so super psyched about building my business around this product, a 6 month delay just rips me. So many people are just amping to have access to this.
I have faith though, and I’m glad to still have the opportunity to be at the forefront of such a wicked technology… I’m glad it will be top-notch once delivered.
Now to go and wipe my tear stained and snot filled face and have some breakfast… onto some other things for 8 months I guess…
Sorry for you Dan, that must’ve ripped you a new one to have to do this.

2 Likes

Yeah, of course it’s disappointing. But as a crowdfunded adventure, overall I’m pleased with the level of professionalism displayed by Glowforge, so I don’t fear my money being ill-spent. This just gives me a little bit more time to work with my X-Carve before the GF shows up. I also appreciate the $200 for the longer wait, that’s a good decision from a consumer point of view and will help build customer loyalty.

Keep on keepin’ on, guys and gals. “You can have it right, or right now.” I’m glad you made the harder (but in the long rung, better) choice.

5 Likes

@KitCameo, @chaotic_concepts, I’m so sorry I couldn’t deliver this for you. We’re all working hard and committed to doing better for you, and for everyone else in the same position.

Thank you.

3 Likes

@dan yeeeeah I know mate as gutted as I am I know that would have been tough as for you… we’re still here tears and all… we’ve sold the idea of our glowforge to so many people, we have folks chomping at the bit to get product made… the delay will only build that anticipation for an epic launch to market.,. I’m sure
xx thank you Dan, appreciate your work.

1 Like

This is the boat I’m in too. I feel like I spent a lot of money on vapour ware… and waiting 14 months since I ordered to get my unit is not only heartbreaking, but disrupts my business plans.

$200 in stuff is a nice token gesture… until you figure it’s all of $15 for each month I’ve been waiting. And honestly, I’d rather just get $200 back in my pocket than $200 worth of stuff I’m not particularly interested in. I feel like I would have rather had a device this June that I had to tinker with but could use… than wait another 6 months for a machine that I don’t have to tinker with. Really… that’s part of the fun of owning machinery.

I’m going to start looking for an alternative now, but sadly, I don’t think anything else compares at this price point.

1 Like

What do you have experience in doing? I have an idea or two that might fit depending on your background.

Oh and hey look at me, first post, I’ve been here almost daily (if not at least weekly and I don’t typically have anything of interest to add to posts so I just keep to myself. First off, the delay was expected so I’m not surprised. They have been transparent about the power supply issues so I’ve been waiting for the new timeline.

For anyone who has done manufacturing or have seen the idea to realization process, it is frustrating for some to not hear that it will be here on November 2, 2016, at 2:41 PM EST. However, things could go amazingly well from here out and the product could be shipped months prior to the worst case scenario (which in this case may happen) or some other problem could creep up and it could eat all the expected delay time and then some, which of course would push back the ship date.

What I am trying to say (apparently in no direct way) is that Dan has no control over the outcome, he isn’t locking our glowforges in a room somewhere laughing at us. As long as he continues to push forward to release the product then that is honestly the best you can hope for in the situation.

To me, I am surprised that he dropped this and stuck around to answer questions personally (which I am sure he is flooded with). He could have hidden after the announcement and it would no effect on when the glowforge would ship. Frankly, as the head of the company it might have been a good thing, he has things he needs to be doing and spending time here to talk to us just adds more to his plate. What if you were in his shoes and had a family that you couldn’t spend time with because of this problem?

Anyway, I am happy that we are getting free stuff for the wait, it was certainly not expected, but it is very welcome. I’m not being a cheerleader about Dan or glowforge, I’m just trying to be realistic.

15 Likes

I don’t mean to sound holier-than-thou and I apologize for coming off that way. My opinions are just opinions, but in the end, I’m less disappointed than some, and I guess that’s just because I was fully expecting this due to my research on crowd-funding and my past experience with several projects that range from “arrived early and was better than expected” to “arrived a year late and still didn’t work right”, and just about everywhere in between.

The mental image that created is great.

3 Likes

Lol… and here I was saying I was being realistic having in my mind July delivery, rather than June as they’d said!!! haha faaaar I’m an egg.

Well since I’m actively contributing today, I can only imagine it was something like this

12 Likes

I believe still in Dan’s vision and the glowforge unit. It has finesse and feature that no other laser cutter could provide. I have far too many creative things I need to make (you guys could all see the various accessories boxes I whipped up on a difficult to use chinese redsail laser, and the other VIPs got an even grander teaser) and the tabletop gaming world will not be the same after I’m through with it.

I stand by the Glowforge and the team, time and again have I lurked the forums and seen that the general rest of us are in awe of the results with laser thursdays, and get substance back from the team.

I tried to get a nextgen 3d printer from morpheus3d and from gizmo3dprinters and had several dozen communications back and forth over months that had less results than what team glowforge already does in a week.

1 Like

This post is not about the Glowforge, so other thread readers please skip over this. I’m just responding to Dr. Jekyll’s question for me.

My job was as a substitute office manager for a local school district, and I was an excellent employee, but the head of HR is like a freaking movie villain, and when I pointed out something hinky that they were doing with overtime pay for some of the custodial staff, I got fired. I don’t really wish to go back to office politics after that.

Currently I’m an artist. I have been selling my work since 2007, but have never been able to make a living off of it. My biggest hit were the pop culture snowflakes you can see a sample of in my bio, but people don’t want to pay for them. They want me to give them free templates, or offer the originals for the price of the paper they’re made out of. I realize now that I made a poor choice in choosing the path of artist over video game creator, so I’m taking Udemy courses to learn more about that right now. It’ll be a while before that pays off, though.

That was probably more answer than you bargained for when you asked, but I figured I might as well explain myself while I’m already here.

5 Likes

No surprises here, the lack of news about beta units going out was all but admitting there was some delay.

@dan Is December the month you expect to be completed shipping pre-orders, or is December the month you start shipping them? I.E., should we expect another month or two delay come December for production to ramp up?