Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

@dan Thanks for the update. I echo the many sentiments of forum about the delays but happy to hear we are getting a better product.

I do have a question/suggestion; Any chance, those that purchased the standard version GF could opt for free upgrade to the pro model foregoing the free materials and catalog credit? I for one would select that option if it were available.

Keep up the great work and continue to inform us on the progress, good or bad. Thank you in advance for your time in answering this request.

They’re off a lot. I think my frustration got the better of me. I’ll delete.

2 Likes

Thanks very much Dan, and to everyone else for your insights!

Naturally it’s disappointing to hear news of delays, and I appreciate that everyone has made their own unique sacrifices to place a preorder. And we’re all so excited about GF’s potential that you can’t not be a little bummed.

BUT I have always said that I would embrace any delays if it means a stronger, more reliable tool. I’m simultaneously encouraged and excited to see beta tests starting to pop up.

I’m happy taking a few extra months to build a bigger library of laser-ready designs myself, while also getting the chance to observe our beta testers’ experiences. I’m also going to take this opportunity to get more involved in the forum, since I’ve been a daily reader but only introduced myself early on.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and expertise, and of course to the GF crew for working so hard to make this thing a reality for us.

-Brad :metal::laughing::metal:

5 Likes

Smart daughter, good parenting, congrats! :slight_smile:

And don’t forget about that 1st Grade report card that they’ll dig up! I’d vote for you as beta for sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Dan. It isn’t the news I was hoping for, but I’m an engineer, I’m intimately familiar with Murphy’s Law, and I understand. Delays happen in a new product rollout. The usual response is to extend the schedule by a couple days, then a week, then a couple weeks, then a month, then a couple months… I’m impressed that with all this pressure to deliver you extended the schedule by a six month block. Generally a six month slip isn’t considered ‘good’ but I infinitely prefer one, long, realistic and practical schedule slip over an update-of-the-week about how a product is ‘just around the corner.’ This gives you time to really make sure things work, characterize, verify reliability, polish firmware and software, etc. without expending 10% or more of your engineering time on administrata and schedule assessments.

I would rather have a solid product late than a shoddy product early. I look forward to December!

2 Likes

I got a stack of bamboo cutting boards to be engraved for 2015 Christmas presents, knowing they would be late. Now I have to come up with two gifts for everyone for Christmas 2016.

5 Likes

2 years now Ive had to scramble at christmas because of CNC based machines I was going to use to make presents with didnt arrive on time. This year im just going to stick with what I have, and if I get to engrave their names on it with the glowforge at the end, that will just be a bonus. lol

3 Likes

For once in my life I feel glad to be the naive equivalent of the ‘great unwashed’ in the world of makers and lasers. I had low expectations because I didn’t know better. There’s a whole lot I don’t know.

• I don’t have a laser, don’t know a thing about lasers, and have no desire to buy a different thing about which I also know nothing.

• I don’t have any projects lined up, nor any particular gifts to be made.

• I don’t know how to make anything with a laser, have not planned a new business around having a laser

…therefore I don’t know what I am missing.

What I do know is that I am one of several who might be described as ‘every man’ who could use a desktop laser to create wonderful things….and give wings to our creativity.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed, but it pales in comparison to being ‘bummed’, angry, annoyed and a host of other emotions. Though I am able to empathize with those who are bummed, angry, and annoyed….I myself am a completely blank slate. The Glowforge can make it’s mark on me in 6 minutes or in 6 months, and it will be absolutely just as joyous and exciting either way. I still look forward to finding out exactly what I HAVE been missing.

Again, thank you to Dan and the team for letting us know and also for the very fine additional goodies.

:gift: :relieved:

Oh…just had to add…I LOVE that Glowforges will be assembled in the US :clap:

14 Likes

This perfectly describes my thoughts. And I’d tack “and excited” on to the end of that.

4 Likes

Hello Dan,

I’m a huge supporter of your team’s innovative ideas.
I purchased 2 units to donate to a non profit youth center that needs laser cutters for classes that begin June 20, 2016.
I’ve promoted Glowforge at seminars, meetings at schools, and technology briefings for educators.

We selected class start dates date based on a promise to deliver. The youth program has been designed based on the advertised capabilities of Glowforge product.
We showed the Glowforge promotional video to everyone to build interest, excitement and commitment.
Our organization is run by volunteers. Many of us have been here for the past 22 years helping kids. Many have passed on.

The email I recd today will destroy our Summer and Fall youth program. We’ll have to cancel all the classes & projects that depend on Glowforge .

I’m asking Glowforge - please don’t destroy this youth program that we’ve all spent over half a year building.

Please provide at least 1 of the 2 units we purchased no later than June as we were promised.
Beta product will be acceptable.

Respectfully.

A friend of mine has Mr Beam I and has long complained about the unpolished software… Complete with crashes. Based on listening to him gripe for a year I’m skeptical about them dethroning GF in ease of use.

As a traditional consumer, maybe. But crowdfunding changes the rules a bit. Don’t get me wrong, this is and has been labeled as a failure. This kind of innovation requires a different kind of consumer, though. Maybe try applying the old rules to the next Johnson & Johnson product you buy. I suppose that people are still learning how to be consumers of crowdfunded projects as well, though.

Sorry, @carlosecheverri–I’m 100% certain that the answer is going to be no. The Team G is offering us a $200 bonus for our patience, and the upgrade to pro is well over $2,000. Nice try, though. :wink:

8 Likes

My reaction to the news was tempered by the fact that my niece 26 years of age just got diagnosed out of the blue with acute leukaemia last Saturday. Still in the full diagnosis stage, and there is hope. I haz a sad all around.

2 Likes

Wow. I really feel for your community in this situation.

I’m so sorry to hear about your niece–life is brutal sometimes. I’ll be wishing her the best possible outcomes.

3 Likes

@marmak3261 sorry to hear about your niece. My kid just finished a 26 month fight with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She was 4. On the one hand, tiny kid, and super super sucky since she hasn’t had a chance to live or do anything yet.
She did well. She’s doing well. She’s tough and strong and brave and older than a lot of adults.
Leukemia gets tougher, though, the older a person is at diagnosis. 26 years is probably past pediatric oncology designation; but might be depending on her case.
From one cancer mama to a new cancer uncle, sincere concern and good wishes to your niece. It will probably suck a whole lot.
My very best wishes for every silver lining. Find the beauty in each day - the uglier the day, the more you need the beauty.
That truth may apply to everybody who is disappointed today, no?

9 Likes

Yep, same diagnosis. thanks for sharing. Best wishes to you and yours!

If you buy it with the American Express Blue Card (like I did), you get extended warranty. From their site: “Extended Warranty 1 can provide up to one extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less when the eligible purchase is charged to the Card.”

Hope this helps any…definitely check with how you paid!

2 Likes