Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

Thank you for the update.
I’m excited for my Glowforge but like most people I am willing to wait for a high quality product.

I have my 3D printer, a ton of software to learn and video game development to keep me occupied until I get my shipment!

2 Likes

Thanks for the very thought out email, I am sure it was hard to write it all out seeing how the glowforge is more than just a product to @dan and the glowforge team. Anytime you put that much time into a project it becomes more of a child than an inanimate object and any delays or problems that arise seem to feel more personal than simply work related.

Good luck to the whole staff and continue on the trail to completion.

3 Likes

Yeah I looked at it too but it’s only a 5 Watt laser (glowforge is 45 I think) and can’t cut much of anything. Just be aware of that!

8 Likes

Wow, @dan — I can’t even begin to imagine how hard this announcement must have been to write! While I’m understandably disappointed, I have no doubts that this will make the final product better for all and will be worth the wait. Thanks for being up-front with this announcement.

Best wishes to you and your staff on a very difficult day!

4 Likes

@JeremyNielsen I think @jackson_r_dolan may be referring to the pre-order ship date @Dan mentions above for December 2016. I did notice this post has wording that is slightly different than what the email states.

Never the less I recommend everyone get comfortable with the idea that your GF will get here on 2017, and that the team is working super hard to make sure the product we get is quality.

2 Likes

They probably haven’t even decided yet, which is pretty reasonable since they’re still locking down exact materials (I mean, as Dan said, they only recently nailed down the final PSU design).

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Amongst the bad news there are some really good nuggets; I’m happy to hear the power supply is finally up to par, and I’m definitely doing the happy dance about the extras. A sampler pack is exactly what I like to see. I need my experience to be as newbie-proof as possible! :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @dan! I’m a little sad it is delayed to December, but quality is very important. I’m glad you are taking the time to vet out the power supplies. Although, I may need to apply to be a Beta Tester now.

1 Like

I am bummed, only slightly, that shipping is delayed but I know when we get the glowforge it will be great!!! Thanks for the update!!

Oh, sorry my bad. You’re right. End of 2016 for preorders 2017 for orders afterwards.

1 Like

The delay for a better project is fine with me - I had been mentally paying for some of the cost of the Glowforge by planning on using it to make Christmas gifts, though. If the units will ship “by December” does that they will ship “in November”? Or do you really mean that you’re committing to begin shipments before the end of 2016?

You don’t need to answer now, @dan, but using vague wording to give yourselves wiggle room you hope you don’t have to use is annoying when the rest of the tone of your letter was constructive, mildly apologetic, and appreciated. Or, if you weren’t trying to obfuscate, you could have perhaps phrased it better.

Very much looking forward to the end result.

3 Likes

Definitely a hard email to write @Dan. As always keep up the good work, I am confident you guys are working your very hardest to make the Glowforge the best it can be.

1 Like

I know it’s stupid to rely on crowdfunding promises but I really thought GF would be different. I’m all for quality and transparency but a 6 month delay is so long. I was just laid off and was hoping to use the GF to start a business and buy an engagement ring. Now, it would be irresponsible of me not to return my GF so I have that money back in my account. I’ve been obsessing over this from the beginning and I’m just so bummed right now. Thanks for listening.

9 Likes

I’m curious. What constitutes a pre-order? Is that for the kickstarter people? I actually purchased mine yesterday. I would much rather see my GF in Dec than Mar.

@Dan - The plan was to see shipping in June from China so I figured I wouldn’t see my Glowforge until August. Now the shipping is in December but from the US. Does this mean I’ll see it early January at the latest? Does this change shipping costs?

Yea that’s true. Damn maybe I’ll look at an xcarve or something for the meantime. The “summer plans” just got a tad more difficult

But you can’t equate a Co2 Laser and a Shortwave Laser.
And there are some other points.

• The price (3000 for the basic glowforge with shipping, taxes, etc vs 1800,- for Mr Beam with AirFilter and CE-certification).
  • German product with german support. (So I don’t have to pay 1000,-$ if there is a guarantee failure)
  • Bigger working area.
  • ShortWave Lasers should have a longer lifetime
  • because they raised the 500.000€ they add 3D-support

I don’t have the quote handy, but I remember reading on the forum that they do not plan to sell directly long term. Once you add in middle men and retail stocking fees, the price will go up. I would realistically expect it to be in the $3000-4000 range once it is no longer sold from Glowforge direct.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials:

I can understand that thought. I did read an article yesterday however that said that GF was getting an average of 1 order every 20 seconds. Knowing that, I can understand delays. Add in that they were only asking for $100,000 in backers and got $27 million… That’s a lot of printers to do and ship.

1 Like

I just read the email in my inbox. More than a little upset to be honest as I’ve literally just bought my airline tickets for my move to Malta on the first of June and was daydreaming about how long I’d have to wait for ‘Winona’ to arrive! Now she won’t until at least Christmas - probably later, as one delay normally begets another - especially as I’m not in the US.

I do understand that it was a hard decision to delay and please know that I do not blame anyone.

So, forgive me as I give this forum a rest for a while. I won’t be cancelling, but the daily excitement of visiting the Glowforge Comunity has fizzled out - at least for a while.

Adieu għal issa.

6 Likes