Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

Ugh! Seriously…? So bummed.

1 Like

Thanks James. We were really excited to be able to build your units here too.

We are continuing to roll out beta units, and it’s not too late to apply - you can see the beta thread here for all the details.

I think of my family all the time, and don’t want to ship a product that isn’t going to make them proud to use. As my daughter said this morning, “It’s OK daddy. It will be better later.”

We’ll gather updated shipping information when the units are ready to go out, and modify countries etc. then.

Right. We thought the schedule from scratch, we didn’t just tack a few months on the end.

I don’t blame you. We failed you, and that is my fault. I am truly sorry. Let us know if you need to cancel and we will take care of that for you posthaste.

Yes - it’s one of the things we have to get absolutely right; it’s not like software, where we can update it later.

I’m so sorry, @Star-Lord. I can see we’ve let you down in our communications and our delivery. I don’t blame you for being upset. Please let us know if you’d like to cancel and we’ll take care of that for you right away. I apologize.

4 Likes

I’m imagining everyone has been going crazy trying to hit the deadline and worried about the same thing. Hopefully this means less stress for all of the employees.

3 Likes

Thanks @andistarnes and @morganstanfield for the leather info!!!

@chris.majewski, on the 10% discounts, how I understand it is that the materials store and the design catalog will be two separate shops, so just the 10% discount through each individually.

4 Likes

Hi Dan,

I was happy thinking that I was finally getting my GF. But I want to be REALLY HAPPY when getting it. I appreciate your honesty :slight_smile: I have no problem waiting. No complains

I will be waiting for Christmas as a child! :slight_smile:

Regards,
Marisol

6 Likes

To quote a quote. . .

“Here, take a cookie. I promise, by the time you’re done eating it, you’ll feel right as rain.”

5 Likes

I don’t neeeeed the money but I was just weighing my options. I’ll probably wait it out

2 Likes

Didn’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings, just stating an opinion. I agree that the Glowforge has great potential for business, but until it is an actual living product in the wild, banking on it is too risky.

I’m not saying businesses shouldn’t invest, I am saying businesses shouldn’t rely solely on the product coming to fruition in any certain amount of time. As @JeremyNielsen said, something like this should have a really good backup plan and a delay in its production should not affect the outcome of your business.

3 Likes

My eternal optimism has me agreeing with @morganstanfield and @B_and_D_T.
Dan did his best to anticipate inevitable delays. An incorporated time contingency for them proved to fall short. They are not likely to repeat that misstep.

I fully expect the new timeline reflects the intention to have everything ironed out well ahead of time and be able to deliver a pleasant surprise ahead of expectations, and without the pressure of scrambling to beat the clock.
Corporate Cheerleader? Yeah, I’ll own that.
Most companies (and VC backers) would choke on dispersing Two Million in swag for any reason that didnt bring a return - much less just to smooth fuffled feathers.
The founders just voluntarily took a six figure hit on the company to demonstrate the profound remorse for their inability to accurately predict the course of events.
That’s who Dan Shapiro is - his VC backers know that, they trust in his vision and guidence. I guess they are cheerleaders too!

I feel for those who doubled down on their gamble by forming business plans contingent on the anticipated estimate of delivery date. I understand why they aren’t cheering, but in my opinion that was a gamble riding on another gamble.
“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” You are not alone, @dan just had to back up and regroup. Right now he’s getting wrung out through emails from round the world.
My problems don’t even rank.

9 Likes

I’m checking on it now - stay tuned!

1 Like

I’ll accept the delay just to keep some jobs in America instead of China, for a change.

8 Likes

Exactly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@dan For the people backing out and getting refunds, can I move into one of their spots so I can get my GF sooner? :smiley:

1 Like

When I read the email I was excited to see shipping…Then as I was reading it, my heart just dropped. I was actually expecting it september time so march does seem a long way away as its a best part of a year away. ill admit im having mixed feelings about it. I appreciate shit can happen, But from 5 months away and excited to 11 months and annoyed are the things im fighting with. is this exaggerated time slot just so if there is a delay…again, then you won’t need to set the shipping back again or what??

Thanks for the honesty though!

I must say I appreciate the info and the honesty better late with less bugs than early with major bugs. I can imagine how much work you guys are putting into the product. Again keep up the good work and thank you for your updates.

Well, for every refund requested your spot in line goes up one(Unless they ordered after you).

Being in a job where there is never an end, makes me able to deal with this. Try working with animals, for 20 years been able to go ok, next problem.

If Wilbur Wright said you want to buy an airplane. I said sure, then he said hey there is a slight problem with the engine (power supply) because everyone wants one now. do you want me to get it right or do you want something that may break and cause you harm… I’m all for waiting.

2 Likes

That was a fun conversation with our investors, but they were 100% supportive of doing right by all of you. We’re fortunate to have good investors.

Thank you for the heads up - we’re not sure if leather will be included in the sample pack, but if it is, we’ll have a solution for people who’d prefer not to receive it.

I don’t think it’s fair to our customers either, and I agree that we can’t make up for missing our schedule.

I think about this every day.

I know the timing is remarkable and all, but we just got permission to share this last week, so it’s not that I was holding back. I was hoping to be able to announce the manufacturer last week too, but stay tuned for that.

Original date.

No plans but we’ll look into it. We’d love to visit.

6 Likes

I’m really tired of hearing things like this. The project wasn’t presented like a traditional crowdfunded idea. You saw an amazing video with a product that looked ready to ship. The wording led people to believe they would be getting their order soon. If so many people weren’t fooled then I would listen to your argument all day. I read things 5 times so I understand exactly what I’m getting myself into so I saw past all of the fluff and knew I wouldn’t see it for months. You can blame people for not thoroughly reading, but not for not understanding how crowdfunding works. One thing I cannot handle is the holier than thou attitude by some on this board. I am not trying to be rude but maybe you should try to see things from another perspective when people are rightfully bummed out.

9 Likes

Is our place in line (crowdfunding campaign) still safe if we choose to upgrade at this point to a pro model?