Gluing Tips

I haven’t made any tab boxes, but I use a bunch of cheap 2 inch and 4 inch clamps for most projects. I also have a ton of sewing clips (which are tiny plastic clips for when you dont want to pin fabric) that I never use for sewing. They get drafted into glowforge projects occasionally.

When I make boxes or frames, I like to use miters. In which case I love these kinds of clamps. But they wouldn’t work for very small things, because it has to be at least as wide as the corner pieces plus the rachety thing.

When I want to smush layers together, especially if they’re warped, I usually just put a bunch of heavy things on it (books and a fire extinguisher) or use “book presses” my sister made for me. They look kind of like this. They were very cheap and easy to make, and have never been used for actual book making. But they’re very good at smush. Although its not super easy to make sure stuff doesnt slide around while you tighten it, so a little tape goes a long way to hold things in place.

2 Likes

I have been doing quite a bit of Kumiko woodworking which is a similar concept. Just using resistance to keep the parts in place and like you I’ve studied Japanese furniture techniques as well. Though I feel like it would be easier to use my hand tools for complex joints than making jigs for the laser cutter. :smile:

1 Like

The simple answer, much of the cheap Baltic birch that I use for prototyping is warped and regardless of how tight the fit is it finds a way to move. :slight_smile:

No markings on the good ones, the bad one has a sticker with what might be part numbers.
Visual difference was the plastic screw at the top (although that part works fine on both, it’s the trigger-grip that fails and won’t keep its place), and much more pronounced remains from the injection-mold points.

5 Likes