Golden ratio calipers

I did a search but came up dry. If you have links it would be appreciated as I won’t post mine if the earlier ones are better than mine.

Nice, I like your design. I just happen to make a pair a week or so ago. They are not the greatest (pivot points too loose) so I would love to see other ideas.

4 Likes

I just posted these in the free plans area. This is why I always try to work in Fusion 360, I had to mess with the hole size myself but by using a parameter they all updated at once!

2 Likes

Beautiful!

It was either @jkopel or @henryhbk I think who made them. Don’t think they used the same name for them though.

I downloaded the files at the time but would have to dig around to find them.

There are these but they are not the same thing.

Edit: well crap, now I’m going to have to make some even parts dividers to go with the golden ration set.

2 Likes

Very cool looking calipers! (slightly “War of the Worlds”.) :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

Memory isn’t what it used to be :blush:

1 Like

Right there with you bro.

1 Like

Nice calipers, and some even part dividers would be pretty good too!

“First I put the PDF into Inkscape, did some tracing”, I hope you used Trace Bitmap in Inkscape. Nice Project!

Oh, I wish! I don’t know what was with that PDF, wouldn’t even open in Fusion 360, wouldn’t trace in Inkscape. Had to literally trace it out using the bezier tool then I put that relatively poor SVG into Fusion where I could clean things up nicely, then back to Inkscape for color codeing .

That was an epic topic. It is what got me hooked on Onshape. I made a chipboard copy of it, but never got around to the acrylic one.

2 Likes

Interesting to hear others workflow. Thanks

1 Like

To be fair, I usually start in Fusion 360 but this particular project forced me to go back and forth.

I’ve been doing, Photoshop: export to SVG, then Inkscape with good results, for me anyway.

Wondering if this was your inspiration? The laser cutter sure makes it easy.

6 Likes

Yes, exactly, I mentioned it in the free plans post but failed to here.

Well after you have the file worked up! That is why I shared my iteration; not everyone should have to spend hours perfecting the file. Spend that time perfecting something else and share it.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Oh, I like what you have done with it!

3 Likes