Google Sheet / Form Cut Log for the Glowforge

Yup thats what I’d be doing :cookie:

1 Like

I’m an excel person, would be interested in what you track on your sheet … waiting on our Pro … and trying to learn as much as we can before it comes. Had been planning to set a sheet up once we know more.

2 Likes

I’ll clean it out and kick it up tonight so you can use it or model yours off it. It’s an electronic version of my little black project book that I’v used for awhile. I added things like LPI, focus height by operation, etc because I can do that on the GF but couldn’t with my other lasers.

I’m interested in what folks would add or change that I haven’t thought of - I’m sure there’s a bunch of things other people track that I’m going to do a dope-slap to my forehead when they explain what they’re doing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks @jamesdhatch! There have already been a couple dope slaps here. I’d love to see yours!

2 Likes

Thanks for providing that to us!

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve been thinking I needed to work something up while I wait, this gives me a great jumping off point :grinning:

2 Likes

Just cleared out all the duplicates and recopied the original.

PLEASE follow the instruction in the opening post. The Sheet was accidentally deleted.

3 Likes

@jamesdhatch and @markwarfel: the Google form and sheet is an elegant solution. I did the database for a little while but dropped it as I just didn’t need that level of record keeping for what I was doing. I pretty much stuck with the same materials. Then the settings changed and interface changed and I am under powered with the PRU on the hot end and over powered on the cool end for this unit. What has worked best are screenshots of the print before I send it. That gives me a pretty good record.

5 Likes

When I was more anal retentive about it I was embedding a screenshot in the spreadsheet for the row. It got out of hand :slight_smile: I find being able to look through line items easier than shuffling through pictures to find something.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

Good idea. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Thanks! Similar to the Excel spreadsheet I’m using.

Mine goes like this:
Material Thickness Light Power Light Speed Light LPI Light Passes Medium Power Medium Speed Medium LPI Medium Passes Deep Power Deep Speed Deep LPI Deep Passes Score Power Score Speed Score Passes Cut Power Cut Speed Cut Passes

Maybe overkill. But whatever. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! I look forward to using it…once I actually have a laser cutter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This is an awesome tip! I swore I would keep track of setting etc. when the GF arrives and this sounds perfect. Now, in reality, I really won’t use due diligence and keep track of much anything, but it’s cool to have to tools not to do what I should :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Thank you @markwarfel and @jamesdhatch! I’ll look at both once James’ spreadsheet is uploaded, and steal shamelessly from them for my own.

4 Likes

I’m probably going to do a mix of both, create a form that feeds a spreadsheet, then have some kind of retrieval to search for specific keywords or features to recall specifics.

3 Likes

There’s an awesome repository here - https://github.com/derekeder/csv-to-html-table for just that

1 Like

Even the most thorough logging of jobs might be useless after a subsequent software update gets pushed out.

2 Likes

When/if I get anything real going with engraving, I’ll be utilizing OfficeTime to keep all jobs logged. Bought it years ago to keep track of my technician road time for work and since I own it, I’ve used it here and there to track freelance work already to invoice out so seems like it would work great here too.

2 Likes

Here’s my sheet. Pretty self-explanatory. I put 3 sample lines in just for grins.

There’s room for 5 different colors/operations. To add more just copy a Color block column and insert the copied cells between the Color block and the Comments column.

You’d want to change the formatting of the Time column if you want to do math on it. I just use it to figure what similar jobs will take to do. Instead of mm:ss I just enter it as mm.ss which isn’t correct for math but works for human reading.

Project settings notebook template.xlsx (11.6 KB)

9 Likes