Guitar Fretboard

Has anyone out there in laserland made a guitar fretboard? I have a friend who makes guitars who was wondering if it could be done on the GF.

2 Likes

is where I’d start.

4 Likes

Annnnd I’m too slow. Came here to say this!

1 Like

Hi @rivercitysaddlery.
I recently made a tenor ukulele with my Glowforge and I did indeed make the fretboard with it. Originally I designed the entire fretboard with proof grade draftboard, but I was concerned about its longterm durability and also wanted some strengthening. I’ll have to dig up the exact dimensions but it was about half proofgrade and half maple laminated together. The fret slots were engraved at .023" wide which is the tang thickness of Stewart-Macdonald’s fretwire. In this iteration, I could not get it deep enough without making the slots wider so I just did one pass and then used the engraved slots as a guide and cut them deeper with my japanese fretsaw (also from Stew-Mac). Simple. One day I’ll get the right formula to do it all with the laser but since the settings will change depending upon the wood, I think this method of using the engraved slots as a guide and finishing with the saw is the most practical. After all getting the fret spacing correct is the real challenge in this step and the laser and proper prep-work on the svg file takes care of that. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Brilliant.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.