Hackable Ikea-ware

They just announced they’re building one 8 miles from my house. Still can’t decide if that’s good or bad, but leaning toward bad (increased traffic in an already-congested area)… :wink:

3 Likes

SO. FREAKING. FUN.

I love the colors. I love the simplicity. I love the laserability. I have nowhere to put them. Ah well. :confused:

2 Likes

I hear you–I’m excited/horrified that it’s going in. Excited that I don’t have to schlep to south Denver to get my inexpensive-yet-tasteful housewares, dreading the congestion on weekends.

2 Likes

I suppose the same can’t be said for the initial flood once it’s open, but I can’t say I’ve ever noticed too much traffic around ours! Usually I go on Saturday mornings literally right when the doors open and it’s pretty empty. Though, word of advice- I tend to avoid it the week before college kids go back to school :laughing:

Oh, and their cinnamon buns? Amazing. :fork_and_knife:

1 Like

You know they pump that smell through the vents to get you salivating while you wait in line? So evil

They also pump the smell of their meatballs into the kitchen sections to get you to buy those when you leave too lol

2 Likes

I believe it :joy: though recently they’ve changed the style of the cinnamon bun they sell in the dining area (okay yeah maybe I go a bit too often hahaha) and it’s just not as good :cry:

3 Likes

Ooof. I wish I didn’t love Ikea so much. It’s crazy to think about all that wealth pretty much going to one family.

Also (and I’m sorry to be all the bummer in this post, but) is lasering spray paint safe? Isn’t spray paint plastic and therefore likely to emit chlorine gas?

The only type of plastic that emits chlorine gas is PVC. it’s pretty uncommon to find something coated in that if at all.

1 Like

Rly? I’d been lead to believe that we should avoid most/all plastic because we can’t know if it’s got chlorine in it without getting the M-acronym sheet.

Except acrylic. Stinky, but safe.

But, like, most plastics are okay?

Hold my beer and watch this:
http://community.glowforge.com/t/how-to-determine-if-plastic-x-is-safe-to-use/648

5 Likes

Spray paint is not plastic… except for plasti-dip
It can be enamel, acrylic, watercolor, etc.

Many plastics are “safe” to laser. Whether they laser well is a different story.

6 Likes

I would be more concerned with the dangers of inhaling the propellant from a spray can while you are painting it than with the fumes from lasering it. Respirators are cheap.

2 Likes

I was referring specifically to the paint coating whatever you are lasering. Plastics are quite a different beast from paints. You’ll definitely want to read the MSDS of anything you put in your laser before firing it up, but it’s unlikely you will ever run across something coated in PVC paint.

2 Likes

See, here we are learning my misconceptions about spray paint. Thank you!

Also, wow… like… old records? CDs? the recycling bin? (assuming I can get something flat…) Strawberry baskets?

1 Like

Records are vinyl. No no no. :relaxed:

4 Likes

you may want to take a peek over this thread if you have not yet:
http://community.glowforge.com/t/how-to-determine-if-plastic-x-is-safe-to-use/648

this link is in the thread, and posted elsewhere here on the forum as well, but I’ll drop it anyway:

-a nice list of materials to use and not to use from a maker space in texas-
http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

2 Likes

Thx jbv, I missed that thread. Super helpful.

1 Like

I think the Ikea cutting boards will be awesome as a cheap laserable gift (most are under 12X20). What other Ikea products are people looking at for their laser?

5 Likes

Awwwwwesome. Thanks.