Ham radio instrument panel

LOVE it. One of my fav.

6 Likes

It turned out great! How fun to create this for him.

6 Likes

Thanks @Thumper369 and @ptodd, and all.

5 Likes

with your eye for detail nothing miraculous here :slight_smile:

I really like that rig. You did a great job. I was going to be a HAMster for a while and then got busy with other things. That was about 20 years ago.

Now do some cool QSL cards for him!

7 Likes

Thanks, @hansepe. :smiley: The frame is his handiwork, I just did the panel.

I got my tech license many years ago, but don’t ever use it anymore.

His favorite qsl card has to be the one from the ISS. As leader of the Cornell student ham radio club, he setup a contact with Ed Liu while he was on the ISS.

6 Likes

Another one of those awesome practical projects that I love so much. That grill is a pretty cool feature.

5 Likes

That is really cool!!

5 Likes

Thanks @cynd11 and @MyDogsThinkImCrazy !

4 Likes

Love this! And welcome to the world of creating electrical panels with the GF (it’s one of the main things I got mine for). In the spirit of contributions and creating a reference out of this thread for anyone who might be doing this, I offer this technique: Acrylic, paint one side with acrylic paint (will need a few coats), etch from the painted side (reverse all content) Engrave 450/12/2x and then either leave the etched clear, where you can backlight with LEDs, or fill with a contrasting color - I use a toothpick to blob the paint in.

18 Likes

Your panels look great! Thanks for contributing.

7 Likes

One of my highschool friends is a retired physics teacher from New York. He spends a lot of time ham-ming it up nowadays.

6 Likes

Thank you @john31 for sharing your technique. That is the spirit this forum is all about!
Your work is astouning!

7 Likes

Currently all connected and wired:

Hubs put a red LED behind the radio tower, so it lights up when powered up.

15 Likes

Wow! That looks so cool. Love it!

3 Likes