Handy chart for Laser Processing Plastics

I think this might be the document that was originally linked:

Synrad LaserProcessingGuide_Plastics.pdf (1.7 MB)

2 Likes

Super helpful, was not aware that Delrin produced formaldehyde gas “bummer”
Noticed that slides 17 and 18 have some mislabeled headers and they have Polyethylene shown twice with different pics. Im sure its just a typo but it makes it hard to trust the data.

Please, please, try and get your head around the actual quantities of these products, created under the conditions that your GF is exhausting, at 200 cuft per minute.
John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

And it’s going outside into millions of cu ft of air. No one is sitting in a sealed box snorting the stuff.

One of the byproducts of burning wood is CO but no one is suggesting we don’t use that.

3 Likes

I think there was a post-importing of tobacco into UK, so we’re looking at 17th century quote that in modern English would read ‘if I wanted to fill my lungs with smoke, I’d stand in the middle of a bonfire’.

John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I didn’t cut Delrin. I was commenting on the data.
What am I “please, please”, supose get my head around?

That the concentration present isn’t a big deal because 1.) .008" laser kerf through a thin piece of plastic is a very tiny amount and 2.) the GF turns over its entire internal volume 50+ times per minute which is effectively diluting the concentration of any byproducts.

1 Like

Sure, furniture from Ikea probably outgasses more formaldehyde than the kerf, if you have a fire though its a bummer cause it stinks and is not especially good for you. Not like it’s going to stop me from making gears just wasn’t aware it put out formaldehyde.

2 Likes

everything you burn with a laser is poisonous, because that’s the nature of combustion.

2 Likes

Still a bummer and for even more reasons.

I thought the fact that they have PETG listed under the header of Polycarbonate with pictures of cut Polycarbonate “slide 17” and Polyethylene listed under Polyester with pictures of cut polyester “slide 18” more the issue.