Harddrives are the Gift that Keep on Giving!

Yes! I haven’t gotten to that with this bunch, but the first time you can’t pull it off the crumb tray you’ll remember the gaff tape!

Ooh! I like this idea! I even have some stuff sitting down in the basement being useless.

100% yes! Teach the others to sit up straight and fly right!!

8 Likes

This is exactly what I use all the time. Got them off eBay!

5 Likes

Done!

5 Likes

Good tip! The strongest magnet in the house is from a TB HDD, it will suck itself down through 1/8 material.

6 Likes

I just ran into the fan slowing down notice myself just the other day. I was using magnets to hold down Thick Maple ply. I’ll look into getting some old drives/magnets - Thanks for sharing!!!

3 Likes

you could even just put a small metal plate on the back of your magnets. that’s what makes the HDD magnets so nice, they already have the metal plate on the back that dissipates the magnetism on that side.

5 Likes

In the meantime, you can use magnets you have along the very front edge (towards the door), or the sides where the fan won’t go over them to slow down. For the middle, or if you’ve gotten small pieces you’re working with then the honeycomb holdown pins are a total win :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Or have a “take apart party”! Supply some inexpensive tools (especially the ones to take apart the hard drives with heh heh) and invite a bunch of 8-10 year olds! Put dibs on the magnets but tell them they can have everything else…make sure you throw in some keyboards so kids can take the keys off and spell their names with it…all the moms will just love their child’s “goody bag” from the party!

Yes, I was able to throw one of these for each of my 3 sons…no overlapping siblings so all parents were unsuspecting. heh heh heh All those tech items were easy to find for free…just get the word out with your friends and you will be amazed what shows up on your doorstep! ahh sweet memories…and the kids as they left all said “this was the BEST party EV-ER!!!”

13 Likes

:sob:

been there, done that - so sorry it happened to you!

6 Likes

Does anyone have a recommendation for best place to get a “lot” of these magnets already disassembled? I looked on ebay - but the shipping prices, eesh.

4 Likes

search etsy.

there are a couple there that are 10 magnets for $15 with free shipping.

4 Likes

ok I just ordered this one

But now I’m second guessing myself that I might have chose one with too many of the small ones, but oh well - I can use them for paper and probably foam sheets I guess. lol

10 Likes

That’s a great assortment. Even the thin ones are surprisingly strong magnets :slight_smile: On these thin magnets with bent bits, a quick bending flat with a pair of pliers will help get the magnet closer to the metal :slight_smile:

An wrapping a piece of gaff tape/duct tape around both sides so you both protect the magnet, and give yourself a handle like @evermorian suggested above is a total win.

9 Likes

Over my years of building and servicing computers, I’ve dissembled and salvaged many mechanical hard drives and have a large collection of the magnets. The metal bodies go to the scrap yard separated into the various types of metal for which they pay me for and the rings and plates that hold the platters together, I have used to make many pieces of very unique jewelry since they seem to be a very light alloy. The circuit boards I take to a place that can recover chips and components from them. They don’t pay me for those but they don’t contaminate a landfill either.

6 Likes

They are handy!

https://youtube.com/shorts/-KKBDRt6g4g?si=xaTXkv2_nCmvLARA

2 Likes

I saw another video doing the same thing with a 3.5" one. How do you know which contacts to solder the plug to? Any idea? Cuz that would be fun!

3 Likes

The sata connector on a 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch drive is the same, so you can take the same pins in the video I quess. (Don’t think it will be a very good grinder tho!)

5 Likes

I wouldn’t do anything too large on it - but for exactly what they showed in the video, sharpening tips and the like it’d be nice to have it laying flat on the table with no chance of tipping!

and conveniently I have a laser, so cutting the paper backs to sanding paper is easy :smiley:

4 Likes

The biggest problem that the motor doesn’t have the power. A small motor with a lot of power isn’t that expensive on amazon or China. But if you have an old disk that still runs you can always try, it will keep you of the streets :blush:…. Just don’t expect to much from it the use will be very limited!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.