Has anyone tried engraving a mixed wood cutting board?

has anyone tried engraving a mixed wood cutting board?

No, but I would assume since the woods would have different hardness, they would engrave at different depths, leaving an uneven engrave.

2 Likes

… which is similar to bamboo boards, where each segment can be very different to the next. The key is to limit the design to bold/stark contrast, i.e. black and white would be optimal. Then find the settings that produce similar results on the least and most dense portions, and use those for the overall design.

1 Like

There’s a discussion going on right now on an oak and walnut board and the complications therein. Best bet is figure out your settings by testing - and if you absolutely cannot find one setting that works for both you could always literally break your design up based on where the different woods are and then have different settings for each… it’d be a pain to design, but no harder for the laser to cut!

3 Likes

A “formula” for the different woods. There really is no substitute for testing… personally I enjoy it. Then again, I’m not trying to make any money either. :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you for all the input- not sure I am up for altering the settings to match the wood just yet…maybe I will work on a new angle.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.