HELP with 1/16th acrylic settings

I don’t believe that to be true or even needed. The autofocus routine (red dot laser) measures every piece of material used. Operations are clearly based on that measurement, so I’m not sure what the value added would be for storing the measured thickness of PG batch-by-batch would be (especially as it varies across even a single sheet).

2 Likes

my thought was if the machine had a reliable height it could assume it could skip the measurement confirmation step getting to pew-pew faster ( mean let’s agree it’s kind of weird we have to enter a thickness if it is simply going to measure it itself - unless you are deliberately futzing with it for a purpose)

1 Like

It would be useless. I’ve measured more than 0.050" difference across a single sheet of PG acrylic.

Fortunately, the laser is not that exacting. You can focus mid-sheet and get optimal results. I posted tests (exaggerated) on 0.6" material here before.

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone who gave HELPFUL advice, I truly appreciate it. As for everyone else who just left snarky remarks and judgmental comments, I can now see why so many people have left the glowforge community. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I’d certainly not judge a whole community based on one or possibly two people.

7 Likes

I am glad you got assistance. I want you to know (since you only joined 23 hours ago) that this forum has been in existence longer than the actual Glowforge machine. In general, it is filled with knowledgeable and helpful people. Many regular posters have been here for over 5 years. Reading as many theads in the forum as possible, and using the search function will enhance your Glowforge experience - I promise. I hope you have lots of fun creating.

10 Likes

Right, I meant between sheets of acrylic not within a single sheet…

We work hard keeping this a drama free place with the majority of folks trying to be helpful. It’s a really civil, kind place 95% of the time, so don’t let the odd occurrences discourage you from hanging out here and soaking in all the experience and knowledge that can be found here. :slight_smile:

@evansd2 Thank you, I always forget Alexa for these kinds of things! And you’d think I’d remember to ask her stuff like this because I use her as a pill timer four times a day. (Wait, maybe it’s the pills that make me forget to ask Alexa. :thinking: :grin:)

@eflyguy Some folks aren’t good at math and maybe they did miss some schooling, or it could be they just struggle with numbers for whatever reason. Other folks have no tact and look for any reason to be intentionally rude to folks when it adds nothing to the conversation, and maybe those folks missed out on kindergarten where they teach kindness. So it just goes to show that we all have our crosses to bear and have things we can improve.

13 Likes

Speaking for myself, I hated math all through school and conversely, probably because I disliked it so much, I was terrible at it. A vicious cycle. Throughout most of my life, I’ve been able to get by with some basic math, but it wasn’t until 4 years ago when I got my Glowforge and had the need and the desire to learn design software that I really had to get serious with doing some math to create things that were in my head. Just learning that alone is reason for me to feel happy.

7 Likes
1 Like

@salazartatiana, it looks like many commenters gave you the answer you needed. I am going to close this thread for now - if you have any other problems or concerns, go ahead and post a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com!

1 Like