How does one go about pricing their products?

4x material cost + time

4 Likes

If I am selling stuff online, I would look at comparable items and price in that range, for sure (I ain’t no dummy). I just meant that I am generally making things as gifts or making things for friends at around cost.

7 Likes

Please don’t do that.

one of the reasons I don’t sell more pens is because I compete with old guys that value their time at ZERO. They could charge more, and still sell pens, but because they don’t it makes anybody else wondering why my pens are 50 bucks and that old guy’s pens are 25. Now part of that is materials cost. I don’t use cheap materials because what is the point? same effort to make a cheap pen as a better quality pen.

A friend of mine that owned a company that supplied wood to wood turners etc. had the same problem. old guys with Time value of zero. they didn’t even realize they were leaving $$ on the table for no good reason. Their wives probably would have strangled them in their sleep had they known.

13 Likes

As a hobbyist, I agree. Part of me is excited that anybody would pay ANYTHING for something I’ve made, but the other part of me knows that things HAVE TO cost more than just covering expenses – not only does it have a negative pricing effect on everybody else, but I think that, psychologically, you’re ripping yourself off. There’s also opportunity costs, which a lot of people just don’t think about. If you’re proud of your work, charge for it. And don’t compete with China on commodity objects.

6 Likes

If I am selling stuff online, I would look at comparable items and price in that range, for sure (I ain’t no dummy). I just meant that I am generally making things as gifts or making things for friends at around cost.

3 Likes

I’m just gonna quote @markevans36301.

18 Likes

I price things at the maximum the market will bear, because you can always put things on sale but can’t realistically just up the price on an in-stock item.

If you make something by hand that is special, time and materials is just a small part of the calculation, IMO. You should not be trying to factor in the cost of your tools and working in some calculation to “pay for it” all.

Instead, I think you need to price something high enough to make the buyer feel they got something special. Make it hurt, just a little, to buy your thing. This may seem counterintuitive, but if you make an awesome pen and sell it for $10, then a person will buy it and not actually treasure it because it’s too close to being disposable. If you take that same pen and make it $40, or $100, then fewer people will buy it but those that do will feel special, and will be more likely to buy something else from you to get that specialness again.

I make decks of cards, and I know exactly what they cost to produce. I once made a deck that was purposefully “cheap” ($6.95) and while it sold well, no one really got excited about it and I still have some in stock after several years. Conversely, I’ve sold decks for $30 a piece and I can sell 1000 of those in a day, because they are perceived as rare, collectible, and special.

Don’t sell yourself short, and don’t be afraid to talk about how special your items are.

19 Likes

These guys have some info on how they price laser jobs, roughly $.15 per inch of cutting on 1/8 acrylic for example.

4 Likes

I’m just going to quote @jbv quoting me to make this totally meta. :smile:
But really, hard lesson for me, never sell yourself short.

10 Likes

I was going to ask the same pricing question so this is perfect timing for me. I’ve had folks wanting to purchase one of my police plaques and I’m struggling on the price. I think I’m like an awful lot of folks who tend to under value their time and skills and I’m really trying to break away from it. What’s hard for me to factor is all my design time :-/

4 Likes

I think about it this way: I’ve put not only money, but time into learning and knowing a tool that I can use to make something for someone they cannot make for themselves. That experience has a premium. Not to forget about all the material waste I had to incur in this learning.

On top of that is material costs. I try to consider what one would pay at hobby lobby for a material of this type, plus shipping, and wastage. That comes out to roughly 4x the cost I actually pay for lost materials. It’s a great starting point.

If I have to do any complicated assembly using multiple materials and build jigs to align things I also charge for my time.

I keep shipping cheap. $3-5 usps makes everyone happy. No one likes double digit shipping.

People understand custom work costs a bit more. This isn’t a factory with efficiencies built in. But you can also add cool little things on the fly. I always try to give people who buy things something extra with their order.

6 Likes

I thought the 499 price came from when they planned to have it shipped both ways for installation, but then decided to sell tubes with an option for installation instead. Or have they come forward with an actual tube price since then?

Would be great to know given the, hopefully, soon shipping.

Perceived value is huge with handmade items or artistic things. I think maybe people don’t trust their ability to judge skill or talent, so they rely quite heavily on price to determine if something is “good” or not.

6 Likes

correct, and i’d be surprised if they come out with a discrete tube price for a few months. i’d also be surprised if the tube price ends up being much less than the ‘shipping-both-ways’ model.

1 Like

IDK and in the context of the question an exact price doesn’t matter. It answers the question do I need to consider this as a factor in my pricing model or is it rounding error to be lumped into overhead?

3 Likes

Think about automotive repairs. If you don’t know how much the garage will charge you a great estimate is parts cost + parts cost + parts cost again. And that’s about the minimum they’ll charge you.

And then there are these:

5 Likes

My pricing also factored in what I think the price would be if I saw that piece at a local shop or gallery, and what is the highest I think someone would buy a piece for. I’ll gut check my ideal price until it is something that I think will work.

The other thing that I keep in mind is that the people who can and will buy often have more disposable income than I normally do and a lot less time to learn a new skill. In their eyes, the price is worth not having to figure it out and learn how to do it with no guarantee that their end product will be as nice. I could never afford to market and sell to people from my thrifty mindset, as my first thought is that I can make that for much cheaper!

5 Likes

I think you’ve put your finger on the source of the problem for most makers.
They’ve often had a history of living at the bottom of the market, and it’s difficult to get out of that mindset.
John
:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

This is why I do my own car brakes, oil, and other things and my inlaws go straight to, not just any garage but, the dealer instead.

$120 and an hour of time or $350 and an hour plus travel time both ways(if you don’t drop it off and have someone picking you up and other things).

4 Likes

Exactly! I’ve done mechanic work on every car I’ve owned when I have access to the necessary tools, and partnered with my husband for just about every large car job except changing out a fuel tank.

Money left in the bank and new skills learned every time! Granted, smashed and cut fingers suck, but pride in ability goes a long way to soothing that pain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes