How I set up files for oversized work

When I have a project that normally would take a few files, I used to have something like PROJECT 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3 and then load each file, run it, etc… But now I put all of my elements on one huge file, set each element to a different color, and I don’t have to ask “Glowfie” (my Glowforge) to reload the file, I just move elements onto the active laser bed and the items that are outside the bed are ignored. No need to even set them as “ignore”. It’s a real time saver.

11 Likes

I’ve been doing something similar too. Really helps save time.

3 Likes

As your jobs get larger there’s a breakpoint where this might not work anymore. The GF UI will group everything and make it impossible to move them separately.

The limit is about 200 discrete parts. Once you cross that line moving pieces separately isn’t really an option. Might still work for you given how you do your colors, hard to say. Just something to keep in mind.

5 Likes

That’s really good to note. I haven’t ever had a job with that many parts but now I’m imagining it….
I think I would have to come up with a very thoughtful way of managing the parts.

| evansd2
June 9 |

• | - |

As your jobs get larger there’s a breakpoint where this might not work anymore. The GF UI will group everything and make it impossible to move them separately.

The limit is about 200 discrete parts. Once you cross that line moving pieces separately isn’t really an option. Might still work for you given how you do your colors, hard to say. Just something to keep in mind.

Tbh my designs that hit this limit are usually massive collections of clones of tiny parts for geometric models, and so they’re all the same color. I usually have to break them up into several cutsheet files.

1 Like

I have been stacking sheets from the beginning as the machine will only cut those that are fully in the available area. So even if all are set as one color, as long as they are not combined into a single object, you can simply move them all at once so the next batch fits the cutting area and run the cut again.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.