How to make a Glowforge (lathe) Table

They haven’t tripped me yet, and they allow the table to be moved on the few times I’ve ever wanted, but normality sits on the heavy legs.

3 Likes

In case this isn’t mentioned in the video - the rule-of-thumb for casters is that each one should be able to hold half the weight of the load. So a 120# Glowforge, filter, and cart setup should have casters rated for at least 60 pounds.

2 Likes

As Promised, the sketchup file that should explain a DIY retracting Caster System. This is a workbench that I will make (I’m teaching my sister-in-law woodworking and she made her own workbench. Once the class is over, I’ll be able to “re-purpose” the material to make the bench I want to be in that area.)

This system has been tested and it does work quite well.

Workbench.zip (190.6 KB)

8 Likes

If they are swivel casters would they have to be attached to the outside edge of the legs? (or would stability be affected if they were on one of the 2 inside edges?)

By the way, when I first saw this topic I was super excited thinking this was a rotary axis for the GF, but then I was brought down to earth…

3 Likes

Footmaster makes models that have an extendable ratchet to raise/lower the caster wheel, like the one in the foreground. Those work much better than the ones with the orange “handles” in this picture.

On edit:

I have the ratchet type on an 1100-lb CNC mill and the orange handle type on a 1600-lb CNC lathe. For objects that heavy the ratchet type is far preferable to my mind, but the orange handle type may be fine for something that weighs a couple hundred pounds or less, like a GF table…

10 Likes

Note: The user formerly known as @bob3 is now @iliketomakestuff - first post edited for clarity. :slight_smile:

11 Likes