How to make wood cleaner

These engravings were done after I painted and applied a topcoat of sealer. I started with 1/8 birch.

The blue sign was hand painted with small round sponge brushes. The blue piece is very small and measures 1 inch by 1 1/2 inches.

I airbrushed a light stain onto the furniture , then I took a mist sprayer with dark stain for a faux finish look. No polycrylic on the furniture. I hand rubbed it with beeswax.

With all creations, after engraving and before assembly ——I have to lightly sand the areas that will have glue applied to them.

Everything is a long process but I enjoy it.

4 Likes

I would love to make such furniture full-sized with the Glowforge, but there is nothing like being confronted by hard reality to realize the ideas in your head will not work in this universe. :cry:

1 Like

So beautiful

1 Like

Lol I have a habit of picking up free furniture that looks lonely off the side of the road and re finishing it. I think it would be cool to incorporate the glowforge and what it does into it somehow. Maybe cut out flowers and glue them to the font of a dresser. Ahhh so many ideas and so little time

4 Likes

Kitchen cabinet doors {and others) are often thinner panels caged in planks. I have been thinking on caging something like these (bigger and thicker of course)…

…in any of several possibilities and I have over 2000 patterns started though less than half svg’d yet.

2 Likes

Before I use the pass through —- I had visions of making furniture. I was going to start my own furniture company. I wanted to take all the miniature dollhouse furniture I had made in 30 years and replicate life-size versions with the GF.

Used the pass-through one time and I blew a gasket!!! I just cut out a huge oversized dog bone. I could have cut out the same size dog bone in five minutes with a scroll saw.

1 Like

Lol isn’t that crazy. I hate when things like that happen. I’ve been going down a dark hole that never seems to end with photo engrave so I decided it’s time to take a step back. I’ve been cutting out earrings and am trying out wood that is prepped with stain ect to see how it cuts. I cut a laberdoodle out and want to ink that later. I’ve found that doing bigger items it’s not worth the flare up and char pre painting.

1 Like

What settings are you using to cause a flareup?

On 1/4 inch birch cut 140 speed /full focus 0.23 and have to cut twice or it doesn’t go all the way through

1 Like

Try these settings. Wood has to be completely flat. If you place your hand on the material when it is in the GF and there is just a little give—— it is not completely flat. Masking Tape and honeycomb pins are helpful to make it flat.

2 Likes

Yes but the Glowforge is not for simple shapes, This would take more than 5 minutes with even a power scroll saw , and would be very hard to get right…

Note: that was just after cutting, so still dirty and cut out pieces still in place.

2 Likes