How to properly dispose of a Glowforge

Or repost in the support forum so we can all see the answer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Just emailed them.

Reposted. Thanks!

1 Like

Seems to me like it’d just be the usual electronics, and whatever is in the coolant. The laser tube gases are CO2, N2, He, and the like so they’re not a big deal.

Sorry for your misfortune David.
Without knowing the nature or extent of the damage, I would expect there to be viable parts in it. Got a picture?

The tape I used over the wood caught fire, it burst the glass door

, and some of the interior plastic has melted.

3 Likes

That might be reparable. Be sure to ask when you hear back from them and show them these photos, and any more closeups you have of the melted plastic areas, so they can see if it can be fixed. (Support doesn’t read the Everything Else category, only Problems and Support.)

7 Likes

I agree with Jules, it probably looks worse than it is. The laser tube looks like it’s intact, the control board and power supply are probably ok.
You may be able to save some of your investment. If I didn’t have one, I would think about rebuilding it. Depending on the damage to the case, it may just need a new top. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Will do. Here’s a few more photos of the melted area. Looks like the front right door jam is a little misshapen and the right rubber door weatherstripping is completely melted. And of course, the door and all it’s wiring is damaged. FYI…I’ve already ordered a new Glowforge. It’ll be here tomorrow. I was just mainly concerned about disposing of it. If there’s a possibilty of it being repaired, I’d keep it as a backup. Thanks for your responses.

2 Likes

I’ll post these over in Support as well.

1 Like

Yikes! That’s a serious bummer man - do you have a link to the tape that you used? I’ve been researching that on the forums and have seen several suggestions. Granted ANYTHING can catch fire like that and we need to ensure we’re watching at all times, but yikes!

How about the left side? Got a picture of that? Since the airflow is right to left I would expect more heat damage to the case there. If the right side of the front door flange pictured is the worst of the case damage, I think that machine is salvageable. I definitely wouldn’t throw it away.

I recommend you clean the debris out of it, and using a flashlight take a bunch of pictures of the inside of it to help support make an assessment and a recommendation.
Try to get clear shots of the wiring and the coolant hoses for the laser tube.

1 Like

Oof. That hurts.

2 Likes

It’s always sad to see a torched GF. :frowning:

3 Likes

I used the blue 3M edge Lock. I’ve been using it successfully since I got this GF last June.

Here’s a photo of the left side. No damage at all.

Good idea! I’ll do that later today.

1 Like

That’s good! Be sure to include a close up picture of the bottom of the head too.

If the company decides it isn’t salvageable, or you don’t want to go deeper into it, before you dispose of it message me with the inside pictures you take, I would consider buying it from you.

3 Likes

I spoke with Glowforge and they gave me the option of sending it back to have them assess the damage and give a repair estimate or just call it a total wreck. But I’d have to pay for shipping $100 each way. I’ll get you more pics and message them to you. I still have to clean it out first. I’ll be in touch.

2 Likes

$100 seems like a small price to pay for something so expensive / valuable!

1 Like