How to remove masking from 423 parts at once

I’ve mentioned my tape sandwich method before:
Mask your material.
Cut.
Apply blue painters tape to the entire surface before you remove the material.
Remove taped-up piece, all the cut parts should come with it.
Flip and tape the other side. Now you have a tape sandwich.

Press the tape down thoroughly like you’re applying masking.

Peel the blue tape and masking off in a sheet.

You’ll miss a couple pieces, but that’s ok. It’s like 98-99% effective, which is good enough for me.

Now you have a pile of 423 unmasked pieces, quick and easy.

And in case you’re wondering, that’s enough parts to make 9 of these guys:

45 Likes

Oh! That is cool! (The polyhedral thing. The masking removal is nice, too.)

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s a variant on a previous project. I revisited the model to refine my “semi parametric cutsheet” methodology in Inkscape. (which may be the subject of a future post… hint, it’s about clones and clever node placement)

and I applied the same “spikiness” to a dodecahedron model I made when I did the basic platonic solids way back when I first got the GF.

1 Like

I had missed the previous post somehow.

I’ll look forward to reading that!

I keep thinking I will switch over to using Inkscape for more things. The extra fiddlyness on a Mac tends to discourage me but, I keep seeing you making great use of it.

1 Like

(offtopic, but whatevs) Buy a pc :wink:

I’ll admit Inkscape on the mac isn’t as seamless, I tried to help a buddy get it going once, and it was pretty janky by comparison.

That may have had something to do with his specific mac, but idk, it was definitely not ideal. These days I am using it on a laptop with a 4k screen, and it doesn’t handle scaling gracefully, so it’s not exactly pristine even for me. I await the 1.0 release, it’s supposed to address the high-resolution scaling issue.

1 Like

I do have an (un)reasonably powerful Windows machine available, too. It’s on my local network but, not on my desk. I wonder how Inkcape would do over RDP. I may try that.

EDIT: In the interest of not derailing the thread any further, I’ll just note here that it seems perfectly workable over RDP to a fast Windows machine. Thanks for the push!

1 Like

Probably not too badly if you have a fast network…

Gigabit Cisco switch for the backbone. Downloading now …

P.S. – Apologies for hijacking your thread. :blush:

Cool weeding trick. That’s much more efficient than my demasking and cleaning with ammonia afterwards. I had just done another 1000 of those tokens engraved both sides, and was all proud of that method - not to have to weed two sides of 1000 tokens.

Thanks for the share Dude. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Inkscape 1.0 is supposed to be a native Mac application.

3 Likes

No problem, but bear in mind that the following conditions have to be true:

Whatever tape you use:

• must be strong enough to withstand pulling it up without tearing.
  • has to adhere to the masking more strongly than the masking adheres to your cut material.

As such, I wouldn’t try this with blue tape on very smooth things like acrylic, where the masking grabs on hard. For that I’d want to use some very sticky packing tape, probably. For Baltic birch, though, it’s a game changer.

3 Likes

I had seen that. Sounds promising.

Of course, version 1.0 has been in progress for something like 16 years now …

2 Likes

There’s an alpha though! Riiight around the corner, I’m sure. :wink:

3 Likes

I got a free monitor that is something like 30 feet wide (okay, not sure its true width, but very, very wide) and if I take Inkscape from maximized to not maximized it freezes. Not sure if that is what you mean by not scaling gracefully.

Is stepping on a Lego not painful enough? Do I have the solution for you.

Cool, if potentially painful.

2 Likes

I feel like you’ve made a handful of these, but for a giant to step on!

10 Likes

:upside_down_face: Holy Sheet :upside_down_face:

Sorry couldn’t resist.

That is awesome.

1 Like

Or a Chromebook with Linux support! Quite nice.

Those polyhedrals look like caltrops to me. Ouch.

1 Like

Mission accomplished!

You know, I bet it would be easy to make 2-part acrylic caltrops… Quick search shows that no one has posted it.

1 Like

Lego manages it with single blocks of razor sharp plastic…

1 Like