Huge shipping boxes

But look at all the free prototyping cardboard you have now.

I actually used so much, that I had to buy cardboard sheets.

12 Likes

The one time I cut cardboard, I was scared to death that it would catch fire. I haven’t cut it since, although I have certainly wanted to to make test runs. How do you get over the fear of cutting it? I’d rather do 20# paper (but had so much trouble with the cutouts blowing around that I immediately canceled the printing) because there’s a setting for it, but cardboard - scary for me!

3 Likes

Yes, My thoughts exactly. I’m not one to always defend a company but I would be happy that they went to extraordinary means to get the product out on time. They spent more on shipping and materials just to get the order out.

That box is the box they use when you order 20" x 48" sheets of acrylic and it does make great raw cardboard for cutting.

3 Likes

Global supply shortages everywhere on lots of things. Recycle, reuse, repurpose. And everyone’s right - look at all of that wonderful cardboard you got to make stuff with! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I frequently cardboard for prototyping. As long as you are watching it, with a wet rag nearby, there is no,risk. If a flame persists after the laser passes, just open the lid and extinguish the flame with the rag. Its not a big deal.

I might add that in all the time I’ve done this, I’ve never had a flareup.

5 Likes

Ditto. I’ve used the same settings for over 3 years and the only flareup I ever had was when I accidently selected coroboard instead of cardboard. I even cut living hinges, no issues. I’m ready in case there is one, but in my experience it’s no more likely to flare than acrylic.

2 Likes

echoing what many have expressed. with a box that size, you’ve got plenty to use for prototyping and it wouldn’t be wasteful. (would you rather they delayed your order until they have the right size box to ship your items in?)

Good to know. I never would have thought as something as simple as a wet rag. Duh!! I do have a fire extinguisher nearby, but the thought of using that makes my heart pound - I figure it would ruin the GF. So good to know - I’ll keep a wet rag nearby (I presume not a sopping wet, but more than damp?).

3 Likes

Damp is fine. Its about like putting out a wooden match.

2 Likes

Thanks! I am encouraged to use cardboard again!

1 Like

My paper storage organizer has held up well.

3 Likes

I have never had even a hint of a flare-up from corrugated cardboard from shipping boxes, and I use it a lot for templates/jigs.

I do, however, watch any acrylic cut like a hawk!

3 Likes

You should have seen the box I received, which contained only one 1/2 inch dowel. It was about 4 inches square and 8 feet long. But not large enough to use the cardboard, like your big box.

3 Likes

I echo this. I’ve used it many times and its an invaluable prototyping material.

1 Like

That looks great!

2 Likes

Funny, I’ve cut a lot of acrylic and it doesn’t scare me at all. :thinking:

3 Likes

Excellent Pro Tip - the wet rag will safely put out any flare up

Sweetness! This is VERY user!

I think it’s one of those laser misinformation things. It gets said once, whether as fact or someone just making a guess, and just spreads from there. Kinda like all the leather stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.