I got to use Friggin'!

As you may - our may not - know, my GlowForge, Friggin’, lives upstairs in my guest room. In the summer all of the heat in my house rises. As you can imagine, there haven’t been many days when I could play with coherent light…

This morning, it was cloudy and cool(er) and I was able to get some work done!

I recently picked up these Batuuan “Spira” - the official currency of Disney’s Galaxy’s Edge:

They’re actually gift cards and can be used to pay for things in the parks.

I found this pattern on Thingiverse and decided to see what happens with a scrap of leather I had laying around:

I need to get some thicker thread and do a nicer stitching job, but I think it came out pretty well and the next time we’re in the park, my daughter will be happy using this to carry her credits…

65 Likes

Very nice leather job.

2 Likes

Oh that looks really good!

2 Likes

At first I thought you made the tokens with some fancy materials manipulation, but the custom leather pouches to carry these around is even better! I would suggest burnishing the leather edges to finish off the tiny bit of hairy-ness, but these are such a fun design.

4 Likes

Only my second time working with leather and I was thinking the same thing - but I haven’t googled how to do that yet…

3 Likes

Good thing you can just search here :wink: Burnishing Burnt Leather Edges - Beyond the Manual - Glowforge Owners Forum

2 Likes

I’m sure she’ll love using it!

2 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like

I have a friend who just got back from there. I wonder if he still has his.
This is a fun little project.

1 Like

Oh cool! Interesting stitching pattern.

1 Like

What a great way to keep the tokens handy! Looks really cool too!

2 Likes

I just need to figure out how to add the aurebesh font so I can personalize it…

4 Likes

My eldest grandson wanted something with the Aurebesh font on it, so I found it online for free and downloaded it into my fonts. You should be able to do the same, then add it to your project in a design app. Did you use the Thingverse file directly in the GFUI…or first in a design app? Do you use a design app?

1 Like

Yup. Got the font (several of them, actually) just have to decide what I want to do with them.

The Thingiverse file (thing:4203003) was clean and well-designed, so I dropped it straight into the app. Though I’ve got Illustrator and Inkscape, I’m still re-teaching myself to think vector-based. More of a Photoshop guy…

2 Likes

Happy Cake Day!

Wow, that’s cool! If you run out of the rivets, you could cut a v-shape series of 5 holes at the top to mirror the bottom pattern. Then you’ve got all leather and stitching, with only the metal ring as ‘foreign’. (the back of the tab would need to be re-shaped to match the meet point)

and congrats on being able to use your GF!

1 Like

Nice!!!

1 Like

https://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=aurebesh

You can install the font from Dafont.com
Its an AMAZING website

2 Likes

Made a second one - smooth side out in the back. “Artificial sinew” for the stitching.

Still debating some kind of engraving - or maybe a greeblie.

3 Likes

This looks fantastic! Post final photos please if you embellish further.