I like this - cutting flexible sheets of plywood

Hmmm, Wonder what it would look and flex like with the Glowforge logo?

4 Likes

My thought as well

1 Like

I will be experimenting with it when I have my Glowforge. When I have it dialed in, Iā€™m willing to share my file.

I could see them being pretty nifty placemat/trivets all by themselves.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking

This is so lovelyā€“I canā€™t WAIT to try it. Thank you SO MUCH for including the files!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I 3D printed a similar pattern out of PLA, and it was extremely flexible. I had never even considered trying to do something similar with a laser!

What an amazing idea! Could someone please tell me if Glowforge software can read DVX files? If not, if Iā€™ll use the vector/image files from my current laser cutter.

Hey there, folks. I was on Amazon this morning looking for some electronic components and found this really cool enclosure that was made using the techniques weā€™ve been talking about:

Flex Case for BeagleBone Black (Wood)

I like the rustic look of it. When I get my Glowforge, Iā€™ll make an Arduino version.

3 Likes

This concept entranced me: http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-flexible-duble-curvature-surface-laser-cut-p/ (and, oh! hey! Thereā€™s a topic about this already. Go, go, Glowforge forum software.)

So, I made one at the lab today:

We were likeā€¦ umā€¦ this project is making us uncomfortable.

We talked about how the swastika used to mean much more awesome things.

Another tech was watching the burn and starting joking, ā€œWE HAVE WAYS OF MAKING YOU BEND.ā€

Luckily when itā€™s done the spirals mostly take over visuallyā€¦ Mostly. The husband says it hits him as completely fixed. Iā€™d hate to decide itā€™s probably okay and have someone quietly feel awful around it.

@m_raynsford Your design is awesome. Thank you for sharing! And the Glowforge emblem is a very interesting possibility.

S & G

Bendy. Plywood.

6 Likes

One thing Iā€™m noticing is that the plywood is fracturing along the little straight edges.

OMG how beautiful would it be to make this stuff bendy?
http://www.laserbits.com/new-products/new-acrylic-sheets/aus-204-cast-acrylic-sheet-glass-green-1-4.html

7 Likes

I wonder how this would mesh into the fractal puzzles?

1 Like

3-dimensional fractal puzzles! Pieces only slot together if you have them bent juuuuust right.

ā€¦I would go insane, haha.

2 Likes

If I am not mistakenā€¦the reverse swastika is an ancient chinese figure.

2 Likes

And the regular swastika is a symbol for lightning/power in a few mid-west Native American tribes.

5 Likes