I made a chair!

Round two, ding ding!:bellhop_bell::bellhop_bell:

So I had literally years to prepare and “learn good and stuff” but no, the Glowforge arrives and then in earnest I start going through the old wonderful posts and tutorials and learned (okay touched on) kerf and other super useful stuff that’s REALLY helping. So BIG thank you again to everyone as I now have a fully scalable model!

My workflow is a hot mess at the moment involving sketchup, fusion360 and inkscape. I know it’s because I don’t really know how to use inkscape or 360 competently at the moment, so going to have to bite the bullet and say farewell to my comfort zone sketchup and go for 360 whole hog just to streamline and probably get better results! Does anyone here use sketchup as part of a laser output workflow?

Sanded the burn off, but rushed and lost some of the sharpness. Keep learning!

19 Likes

ROFL! I can guarantee I’m going to be following this one to see what happens to the banana. (He has now achieved peak ripeness.)

And the newspaper is just brilliant! :rofl:

(@dan, @bailey, @michelle …you guys have got to see this one…you asked about
marketing ideas.)

4 Likes

Now this is hilarious! I can just see an entire sequence forming about this, now. :rofl: Can hardly wait to follow the Banana Chronicles!

1 Like

Banana for scale HAHAHA :joy:

2 Likes

Can we scale this down to fit 1:12 figures? My brothers action figure display could use some!

2 Likes

shaper origin chair?

2 Likes

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner! I like the question mark too, it shows my efforts aren’t convincing enough :wink:

I’m really hoping they come to the UK so I can spend my money on more stuff, you looking into one?

1 Like

sweet as. I was a phase 1 shaper order. We’ve only found the time/space to use it once so far but the husband has dreams. but we also live in a carpeted apartment and the community board apparently takes offense at the use of loud tools in public areas…we desparately need a garage/shop. But the shaper is awesome - we just need to finesse our space and skills.

…do you like how i blame user error over machine error (Because it’s seriously awesome)?

2 Likes

Carpet and sawdust are not bedfellows as neither are noise and neighbours!

And how do you blame user error over machine fault?

…insert joke about men not reading manuals…

…also I’m just nice like that

2 Likes

@Jules you should work for an advertising agency! I can see you walking into Glowforge HQ setting up the meeting room and inviting everyone in. Giving a short speech about synergy, focus groups, blue sky thinking in the cloud and then lifting a cloth from the table to reveal a banana.

“What do you think?” Jules exclaimed in equal measures of pride and enthusiasm.

The room was hushed. Eyes flitting between puzzled faces and the banana on the table in front of them.

“It’s a banana”. Dan announced flatly.

“Yes, genius isn’t it?” Replied Jules smiling obliviously.

5 Likes

I’m afraid the insanity precludes that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(FYI: We own a small sales rep agency, so I actually do get to indulge in some advertising, but the products are …rather difficult to make exciting. People just don’t enthuse over pipe dope. It can be a challenge.)

4 Likes

I am seeing a future for the company and those “difficult to make exciting” products.

One word.

Banana!

2 Likes

Move to Colorado.

And switch pipe lines :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Okay, it actually took me a second to get that. :joy:

2 Likes

I beg to differ. Every day customers at my work sees the pipe dope on the shelf and ask if it will get them high. Usually they are already high on something or have obviously been drinking. If the pipe dope was flavored, we’d sell a crap ton of it.

5 Likes

I don’t know the brands you rep for, these may be a little UK specific. I’ve also included some plumbers hemp to tie into the whole “pipe dope” theme you have in the US (it’s called jointing compound over here (still has the word Joint in it, is there no escape from the drug references with this stuff?))

Anyway, you’re welcome.

4 Likes

ROFL! You know, that’s not half bad! (Do you raise bananas?) :smile:

1 Like

Don’t talk to me about bananas! Who knew Peter Jackson was filming King Kong 2: 2King 2Kong? They cost a fortune to hire and were total divas the whole time during the shoot.

As they say, never work with children or bananas. No that doesn’t sound right? Wasn’t it animals? Animals, that’s it, never work with animals or bananas.

4 Likes

Finally, a good place to store your banana!

2 Likes