I need some help with Inkscape

I still couldn’t get it to work just right, but i found another solution that you started me on. Manipulating the layers and deleting the offset/inset circles when done, i used the infill bucket that created a new object within each set of lines i wanted cut out. On those objects, they kept to the curve and i set them with a line style.

I’m glad you figured out something that works for you. I found that Inkscape is pretty powerful, but sometimes you need to fiddle with it for a while to understand how something actually works.

actually, it didn’t work. I tried to export to dxf and it got all janked up.

The lines intersect the wall like pieces im trying to preserve.

Ive figured out your way specifically, i think the problem before was that my lines and squares were more than one object, so bolean cant handle 3+ at a time, i should have figured it.

I slowed down and went step by step and for instance, just got the outside corner walls, but the dxf output from inkscape still shows it all janked.

So i guess now, how do i get inkscape to port the dxf better, or what else can i get that’s free that i could input the svg and get the dxf out? Could someone have a program that can convert those curves better, and convert for me if a pay for program is the only way to go?

After thought, i might just have to wait for glowforge that can read the svg files instead of dxf to make this object… but was really hoping i could get a suitable dxf by tomorrow morning. :disappointed_relieved:

You might be trying to do too much at the same time. You should try to do simpler operations first, and then build up to your whole sketch.

Here are a few quick videos on how I would do what I think you are trying to do. They might put you on the right path.

In this first video, I make an object with lines.

The second video, I duplicate the object. Then I use the inset tool to make it smaller. Just so you know, in the video I use the “Path->Inset” shortcut a few times (Ctrl + “(”). It does not show in the video when I use the keyboard.
Then I subtract the smaller object from the bigger one.

In the third video, I do the same thing to create a circle.

In the last video, I then move the circle over the first object and “Boolean Add” them together.

I also just tried to save what I created as a DXF, and I opened it in Fusion 360. It looks like it saved fine.

1 Like

That picture makes it a little clearer what you are trying to do.

Here are a few more small videos on how I would accomplish that with InkScape.

In the third video, I’m using the inset tool keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + “(”).

Note that I’m not aligning my shapes very well in these videos (I wanted to keep them short). But you can use the align tool to make sure your circles and squares are lined up properly.

1 Like

Sorry about making multiple small videos, but I tried it with one large video, and I could not uploaded it to the site.

2 Likes

No, no, the vids are super helpful. It might be too much at once,and i wonder also if it might be Solidworks’ eDrawings viewer that is interpreting it incorrectly. Is fusion 360 free?

When using inset/offset in inkscape, is there a way to specify the distance value? Im trying to keep the 4 corners and the 2 inside “c” shapes to be 1/8th inch between inside and outside… i need to make this with some precision, so the inside spins freely from the outside. Or even if it could snap to guide.

While it may be a little busy, i have gotten it to look as an svg exactly like it should twice, and the dxf export is just jank

In the preferences, you can set the default Inset/Outset in inches (or other dimensions). It is under Behavior -> Steps.

1 Like

Fusion 360 is free for makers and small business that make less then a certain amount. I cant remember what that cut off point is but i want to say it’s 50k or 100k.

Free for makers and small-business making less than 100k/year. And one of the guys working on it is a glowforger, who has been very helpful already. see here : Fusion 360 for Beginners webinar

1 Like

@polarbrainfreeze, you made my day. Thanks for this awesome collaboration and tutorial. So helpful in so many ways!

1 Like

I’m about to pull my hair out. I’ve done it a 3rd time in inkscape flawlessly, and still the dxf is janky on the curves.

I went and loaded up fusion 360, and while sketching feels alright, breaking lines is super nice. Problem is that the ui takes up a majority of the screen. Setting guides for measurements was a bit of a struggle, not being behind an autodesk app for several years. It however did pop out a good, non janky dxf file. I dont think the curves in the dxf are as rounded as the inkscape version, i think i can make due with it.

Sounds like it’s exporting curves as poly lines.

At least it prints out a dxf that doesn’t have a diagonal line go through the thing crosswise

Thank you all for the help! I’m set for converting all the svg i needed into dxf to use on another laser. With the GF this should all be less complicated–and that’s a nice thought, but with your guys’ assistance i earned enough xp to level up! (That is to say, doing complicated stuff is good experience, and i learned quite a bit, now i am much more formidable; bwahaha ha hahah hah)

1 Like

Wow. @polarbrainfreeze, thanks for helping out like this - really cool to see such expertise at work!

2 Likes

No need for thanks. I’ve been helped several times by others in this community. I’m sure I’m going to have questions in the future about other things, and this is likely the first place I’ll come to ask them. It’s nice that we all help each other move forward.

5 Likes