I really feel like you let us down in a big way

I’m just having fun here so this is not a comment on anything you have said. This is a post of mine from Oct 16th last year.

12 Likes

I would say you are one of those rare folks who really do make decisions based on logical outcomes and not on what would make me feel good. You blow the hyperbolic discounting graph. And that is so neat to know that it is possible to delay gratification.

3 Likes

Nah totally cool. I dont even think Ive seen that post. You definitely called it, but the judgement you made was based on experience in the industry and having the foresight to look into those things. The general public would have no reason to believe anything other than what was presented to them otherwise.

And they surely didnt put that post on the front of the glowforge website and say this guy is probably right lol.

They got all that cash from investors and were probably pushed to market sooner than they were ready. Like I said before, if the guys from Tested, who has been to glowforge HQ for months were even caught off guard, you know something is up. It happens, it sucks, most of us didnt see it coming, so were more disappointed than the few who did. I wish I would have had your level of insight at the time. I still would have bought one, but I would have been a little less surprised by the delay…

4 Likes

Don’t disagree.

2 Likes

aww man, an rpegg like! thats like a badge itself

I have to say, even though we dont have glowforges yet, im really happy to be part of a community with so many cool people in it. Sometimes I feel bad for the people who dont visit the forums because while theyre missing out on their glowforges, theyre also missing out on all the great stuff that comes out of here. So cheers to you guys, I couldnt ask for a better group to be waiting with

10 Likes

Hi @chris,

Fair enough. With this explanation, I feel I better understand your point of view.

I was just totally geeking out with my Communication Studies stuff in response to a comment by @rpegg. When I hear about a real world example of something taught in class, it’s hard to hold back. :slight_smile:

Heck, in the fall I might even use some of the stuff discussed in these forums for examples when covering Organizational Communication in my classes (changing all names, including Glowforge, of course).

2 Likes

So, what you’re saying is, a product delay outside of your control has forced you to alter your timeline and make some changes? And in doing so, you unfortunately let down someone who relied on you and you’re heartbroken about the situation and, despite your best intentions, you’re not going to be able to make it happen in time for the deadline?

Man, that sounds familiar…

49 Likes

Out of likes again… but this cant wait. :heart::heart::green_heart::purple_heart::grin:

3 Likes

While I completely sympathize with @chris, your reply is spot on. You could’ve even added the fact that it’s costing Glowforge money from returns and the product they’re sending as compensation.

3 Likes

Been trying for two days to provide that type of basic thought and failed miserably. @Erin said it perfectly without being forced to take a side.

6 Likes

This is exactly why, while sorely disappointed, I’m not actually angry with anyone but myself.

3 Likes

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…

There are risks you take in business everyday, investing in a prototype without a backup plan is NOT one of them.

You worded this very elegantly, so you get a like. :slight_smile:
I wish I could give you more…

4 Likes

Brilliant! Bravo! Encore!

2 Likes

I do agree with Chris to a point. If the power supply was the cause of the delay, then why is there a lot more hiring & work to do when we are so close to the June shipping window? Or worded more another way, if the power supply hadn’t been an issue, where would things have fallen short if the June ship date had stuck?

That being said, watching the Q&A has given me hope & confidence. I just hope it isn’t for nothing and that months from now I’m not kicking myself for not saying screw it and picking up a Full Spectrum H-series.

Sorry I only get to like this once…:heartbeat:

1 Like

Bravo! Best post of the night! :clap: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Chris, I’m so sorry we let you down. You’ve been a supporter for the start, and I wish we didn’t have to repay you, and everyone else, with more waiting.

We failed to deliver on time, so while we could quibble over what might have been the right decision, what we did was, by definition, not the right decision. Whether it’s my fault is irrelevant; it’s my responsibility, and I take it fully.

I apologize.

16 Likes

[quote=“chris, post:1, topic:1988”]…
and so I only made $100 a week from it.
[/quote]
I’m going to go ahead and stop reading right there.

I mean, why not make a realistic estimate: within 2 hours of owning a Glowforge you’re guaranteed to earn $6000 a week working from home. My neighbor down the street did it and so can you! Just visit www.peoplelovetodeludethemselves.com and see the 3 three easy secrets to success!

5 Likes

You know, I haven’t wanted to say anything, but I think the exact same thing every time I read stuff like this too. And it’s not because I don’t care, it’s just that I too would love to sell the stuff I make with the Glowforge. Or any laser for that matter, really. My problem is that I don’t have any business background, and I certainly have never played with lasers before. I didn’t have the money for a laser I absolutely knew would work, and I didn’t have the time for a cheap one I would have to tinker with. The Glowforge is the perfect solution for me and my family because when I finally do get the product I will (hopefully) have a laser that requires no tinkering, and a negligible learning curve. Once I have that, it is essentially a hobby laser until I can figure out how the laser works for me: what I personally am good at creating with it, what I create that people want to buy. Will I use the GF for rapid prototyping? will it just continue to be a hobby laser so I don’t have to buy anymore Damn Christmas presents and be broke at the end of the year, every year for the rest of my life? I don’t know. But I feel content with my choice to preorder. I figure since I don’t smoke or drink I could rationalize it as one years worth of beer and cigarette money I didn’t spend lol

8 Likes

Rpegg, I am an engineer too. I don’t care to speculate on what could go wrong. I would love to know what the team has identified. Anyone can speculate.
There isn’t anger - just disappointment. I outlined what I think would be a clear path to get confidence back.
The company already missed two deadlines (December, June). Now we have another target - I’ll wait and see, but have no faith that it will be met, because GF has not done much to give us confidence that this time the schedule is for real.

Will we see something? I hope so. Having this blind fan boy attitude isn’t good for your health. Your disappointment might be greater down the road.

Cheers.

2 Likes