I think I'm figuring this out

This was my first project. I’m pretty excited with the way it turned out. One of the girls I work with is retiring this week. It is definitely not an original idea(I found it on Pinterest) but I did create it from scratch. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the words to transfer from inkscape to the glowforge. Then a good amount of light sanding to clean up score marks and melted glue from the painter’s tape. But I’m still pretty satisfied.

36 Likes

Wow, nice job!

2 Likes

Yes, yes you are.

2 Likes

Indeed!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Your alignment is fantastic, and the project itself is great. I’d definitely say you’ve got it figured out!

2 Likes

This is a very thoughtful gift—well done you!

2 Likes

Nice job and I second the comment about the excellent alignment.

As for the sanding, I have two possible recommendations for next time (because now you’ve set a precedent and people are going to ask :slight_smile: )

One would be to maybe not mask at all. If you’re going to be sanding anyway then not masking is no big deal, you can sand the engraving residue off. If I go that route, I like to use a soft paintbrush to clean the sanding dust out of the engrave as a final step before finishing.

Or option two: you might want to use something a bit less sticky than blue tape. Dedicated masking is easier to use and requires little to no cleanup. Here’s a thread about my favorite masking brand:

Anyway, of course there’s option three, which is keep doing what you’re doing; you’re getting good results as is :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you so much. I really can’t wait to do more.

1 Like

Unforgettable is misspelled. I’m sorry. Someone had to mention it eventually.

The engraving came out nice.

5 Likes

Nice project! Keep going! Can’t wait to see the next gift!!

2 Likes

Thanks. Better than giving and and finding out afterwards. I guess I will be reprinting today.

3 Likes

I like that you rounded your corners, it makes it so much nicer and professional.

1 Like

Thanks. I prefer them as well. The funny thing is this project took both my son and I to figure it out. I couldn’t remember how to round corners in inkscape. He remembered that part and how to select multiple items so I could link them together.

Honestly, i can’t wait to see what he comes up with. His ideas will be more original. I can rework someone else’s ideas all day long. But new ideas are more his forte.

2 Likes

Rounding corners on rectangles is not too tricky of course, but if you want to round something a bit more complicated or if the standard radius techniques can’t be used, there’s a nice rounded corner plugin.

2 Likes