Illustrator - older version?

Oh, in that case you should definitely consider at least giving Inkscape a try for a couple of hours. I assumed you were used to Illustrator because you were using it for other projects.

Second column:
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

2 Likes

This is another fear I have!!! I didn’t realize it was more than a conspiracy theory though:( Ugh. I’ve tried using Inkscape before but got frustrated and found it clunky. Maybe it was my Adobe snobbery bias though…I should probably give it another try. It IS the right price for sure. I’m not a tech person, so I’ve fallen prey to the Apple + Adobe + $$$ scheme. Now I’m feeling like I need to rebel a little bit.

Well, I use Lightroom for my photography but I also have an older version of that I was thinking of plugging in. I’ve justified the ridiculous price because I was using two apps and I’ve just added it as a business expense. Now I feel like trimming the fat a little bit…

Inkscape can definitely seem clunky, the UI isn’t as refined to look at, but it does do most things pretty well. There’s a great series of tutorials out there:

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/index.html

This guy is pretty good at explaining the nuts and bolts stuff you’ll need to work with the glowforge, nodes, paths, etc.

Illustrator is better at centerline traces, but other than that, I’ve never found myself unable to do something that I needed.

4 Likes

Honestly I haven’t used Inkscape in years (it felt super-clunky back then). There was some point a while ago that it did one thing (with a plugin) that was impossible with Illustrator (exporting paths to Openscad I think?). Admittedly I’m 100% Adobe biased as I’ve used it professionally since AI5 and PS4… I use several of the apps regularly for paid work so the $50/mo seems like a fair cost for always having the new shiny.

1 Like

Totally agree - if I was using a bunch of apps regularly I would feel the same. I was just disgruntled by the last price hike - from $29.99 to $52 is almost a 50% price jump!! Made me stop and think. But in your shoes it’s a no brainer!

1 Like

how many projects do you do a month, and what is your time worth?

CS5.5 worked perfectly fine for me. The new bits in CC didn’t seem that important. Eventually I had to get it because of new computers with new OSs (cross platform too, which the CC subscription supports). Now trying to go back and work in CS is painful. Not quite pulling teeth painful, more like pulling bandaids painful. Between Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Acrobat Pro, Premiere, and After Effects (and the rest of the programs, and Type Kit, and the cloud libraries), I feel that while the CC subscription is not for everyone, it’s great for certain people.

nothing running on x11 looks good or works seamlessly. It seems like there’s always something.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m just a hobby user. If I were designing for serious sale (heaven forbid I should ever have to do that again) I’d probably want all the latest and greatest tricks.

I can’t create that fast though…it’s kind of hard to come up with non-derivative ideas.

1 Like

I have basic design needs, but I’ve been using CS4 without issues with the software – just save as SVG and done.

Issues with the fact it’s on a 10 year old laptop and an old OS, perhaps, but not from Illustrator itself…

1 Like

Me too cs4 no problems. Just started an advanced course based on cc and there are a few tools missing such as width, shape builder and curvature tools. Which look pretty cool but you can still do all those things in older versions, just not as quickly and simply.

I realize this is crazy - Call them and politely explain you can’t afford it and do they have a discount. They accommodated my family.
Ryan

2 Likes

I use Adobe CS3. That’s right. CS3 and I only lack for time to create the designs, not tool power or Glowforge compatibility. I even found out how to round corners, which I thought was a new feature. @Jules is right that the UX is fresher and easier, but I’m not sure that I’m missing much.

I recently started using Affinity Designer, because I wanted to have a more powerful tool for my iPad Pro. There’s a learning curve, but I’m liking it so far and it’s cross platform.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/desktop/

I have used Inkscape, but I can’t get over the raw interface design.

@PrintToLaser

Is that deal still available?

1 Like

I very much appreciate the people who put time into making tools like Inkscape, and also very much wish they’d drink some Kool-Aid and make the UI similar to the big dog apps.

There is a vector art program I use for my vinyl cutter… The UI is just bizarre. It is like the author once had someone explain Illustrator to him after both parties drank a handle of whisky, then he turned his drunken napkin notes into a spec. “This is GENIUS!” hic

5 Likes

I don’t think so, I went looking and couldn’t find it on Amazon where I got it.

It’s actually the way the world is going - software with perpetual licenses doesn’t drive the recurring revenue gravy train. So even things like operating systems are going to be paid for continuously.

But just because it’s coming doesn’t mean we have to support the transition :slight_smile:

That’s the fool’s gambit :wink: Not a valid argument - as a hobby user her time in 5 minute blocks isn’t worth what she might be able to command as an hourly rate. Save 5 minutes and it’ll get spent watching the GF burn something or an extra cup of coffee or a daydream while looking out the window or some other non-revenue enhancing activity. It’s not likely that she (or anyone really) will do the next thing 5 minutes quicker and then the next one after that and end the day with an extra hour or more she can spend in a big block.

It’s the fallacy of all the time-saving efficiency experts. The math makes it look like you’d save enormous amounts of money but the reality of bathroom breaks and distractions makes all those saved minutes evaporate. Only in highly structured places like assembly lines where the work flowing can be managed and increased to take advantage of the efficiencies of saving minutes is there ever a real payback.

Go Anderson Consulting! :smile:

4 Likes

Bah Humbug! If I can clear 14 cents an hour, I’m ahead of the game. :smile:

2 Likes

I use CS6 on an apple Macbook Pro 2013 with the latest (mojave) OSX update. Had to download some extra java for it but it still runs like it ever did. I too would love to migrate to the CC but the monthly rate is just too high. I had hoped adobe would release a Lite version of illustrator for €10 a month or so.

Please link a definition or example of this phrase in terms of argument validity.

Time has value. (but that value varies greatly)
Efficiency saves time. (but how much time saved varies greatly)
Efficiency has value. (but the ability to take advantage of efficiency varies greatly)
If the cost of efficiency is less than the value of time saved, the cost of efficiency is justified.

Determining these values is a whole other story.
I can’t say what specific value any individual places upon their time, nor can I speak to how much time is actually saved by any individual by using one tool over another. Thus, I do not make the argument that everyone should upgrade to CC, nor do I argue that it will definitively make people faster at creating designs, or that anyone would necessarily make more money with a subscription-based program than they would with a stand-alone.

that’s a Slippery Slope :wink: Not a valid argument

2 Likes

I think the whole time savings thing is more opportunity than anything. What you do with your time savings is up to an individual. I shave as much time as I can. Do I always utilize that time great? Sometimes. Sometimes not. But the opportunity is there.

For a casual user, I wouldn’t pay the subscription rate. But, I use enough of the programs that it’s worthwhile, and the integration between the programs is even more worthwhile.

1 Like

https://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator.html?promoid=PGRQQLFS&mv=other is the link for the $21/month version

Sadly other than finding an old copy they’ve really cleared all inventory of non-subscription products :frowning:

GIMP/Inkscape user here :slight_smile: