Illustrator question re: save as

Happy Holidays amazing glowforge Ohana.
I am not sure if it is something that can be defaulted, however when I use save as svg, and change my decimal places to 6, and my image location to embed, it remembers for a while, then it forgets and I am back to decimals of 1, and image link…
Is there anything that I can do to force it to remember?
I am not sure if this correlates with adobe pushing updates.

3 Likes

Since they describe 3 and link as “the most reliable export settings” I’d blame them…but that yours defaults to 1 and not 3 makes me less sure…

3 Likes

That’s weird indeed. I don’t use Illustrator constantly, so but I feel like it remembered my settings for years, until I got a new computer (and deliberately started from scratch).

6 Likes

Do you need that much? I noticed in the past it just makes larger files (longer processing). 1 was not accurate enough for me, 3 was the sweet spot.

7 Likes

It seems to me that Illustrator messes with my preferences every time I do an update. I’m probably doing something wrong, but it has made me very reluctant to update.

6 Likes

I use 4, personally, but I don’t remember if that’s for a reason. I feel like I saw a file once where 3 wasn’t enough and caused some artifacts. But 1/1000 of an inch is pretty small.

7 Likes

I think if I had something really intricate I would bump it up, but for a finger tab box, 3 decimal places is good enough.

4 Likes

Save As PDF, Illustrator Defaults, done! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This!! I don’t understand why Illustrator-> GF users are still bothering with SVG unless they’re selling files to others. PDF or copy/paste are so much simpler methods.

4 Likes

Ahhh, everything old is new again…

Ok, I will convert.

4 Likes

A deep longstanding dislike of PDFs. (I didn’t say “entirely rational”)

9 Likes

SAME! IMO .pdfs are to be used only when you want to lock stuff you’re sending out into the world - and even that’s only true if the people receiving it are not tech savvy at all.

3 Likes

you can still do copy/paste for most jobs. the only time i have issues is occasionally with embedded raster images. but anything that’s vector, it’s copy/paste all the way. why create an intermediary file if you don’t have to?

5 Likes

I thought I was the only one that had that hangup. Just attributed it to my quirkiness.

12 Likes

That’s generally what I do.

Pretty sure it uses SVG under the hood, though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it totally does use SVG.

2 Likes

I’ve never gotten that to work from Inkscape sadly.

1 Like

i don’t think it does from inkscape.

3 Likes

I have finally converted… I am copying and pasting between adobe and gave up on SVG.

The ornaments I designed were drawn out in illustrator, only saved as SVG, and when the decimal dropped to 1 from 6, it warped my gingerbread man to make it look like a terrible trace, rather than something crisp and perfect.

The file size will be boosted, but hopefully it prevent me from injuring more gingerbread men in the future.

I spent a bunch of time re-creating it… although in hindsight I probably should have found a version on the :glowforge: user interface and downloaded a successful upload… ahh…

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.