Importance of proper reporting: couple killed, news can't get the story right

Didn’t even know they had done an investigation. :unamused:

3 Likes

omg, so sad!!

2 Likes

Oops… Yea my bad… it’s habit to write CO2.

2 Likes

The thing that everyone who is pointing fingers at a Glowforge is missing is that there aren’t many in the wild and the ones that are out there are tightly controlled, so Glowforge would know if they were a customer for sure.

2 Likes

ya… I cant buy into this as being the fault of the laser also the reporter should have proof read and said something like … couple had a 3d printer, and a hobby laser.

that aside something like this I imagine would have to be the hvac system…or something like the car in the garage running from remote start and they forgot about it and it leaked into the house… I cant even imagine the sheer qty of things you would have to laser to saturate the play with CO2

clearly some investigation has to happen as well as a retraction of false information

1 Like

Like everyone here this story sets off my balonie detector. Every news story I have ever heard on the news that I know something about has been wrong, and this one smells to high heaven. :poop: - Rich

8 Likes

For more discussion.

11 Likes

Wasn’t a 3D printing head mentioned as a possible future replacement for the laser head ?
If that were the case from early in the development, I can see why they chose to incorporate the idea in the description.
But I think this has been well discussed before ?

1 Like

You beat me to calling this BS :poop:.

Something just didn’t seem right to me.

3 Likes

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras… but zebras make better clickbait.

8 Likes

The problem that remains is that this is providing a devastating amount of bad PR to people that only read headlines, and in our society today, I’m convinced that there are more of those kinds of people than not. The laser cutting FB group that already slants bias against glowforge is eating this all right up.

4 Likes

Welcome to the post truth era of fake news.

7 Likes

Been that way all my life. We just need to learn to question the motivation behind what we hear. (And what we don’t hear.)

5 Likes

Alternative Facts!

5 Likes

Oh no, here we go again…

1 Like

Looks like CBS San Francisco pulled the story - I get a 404 from the OPs link.

6 Likes

FYI, nitrite is the antidote for both carbon monoxide and cyanide poisoning. The juice (only half the amount) from a room temperature can of Vienna sausages has enough. It should be followed ten minutes later with a small vitamin C supplement. This is not appropriate for people taking drugs for blood pressure. The nitrite displaces the CO or cyanide bound to the iron in hemoglobin. The natural and supplemental vitamin C will displace the nitrite and allow the hemoglobin to carry oxygen once more.

19 Likes

@volivaa and @henryhbk would make a formidable team.

6 Likes

A number of people from the 3d printing group on facebook were emailing the person responsible for the story and letting her know how incredibly off base she was.

Meanwhile in the laser users group… people were blaming it on the glowforge. =\

4 Likes

:rolling_eyes:

:rolling_eyes:

Could not do a like, but eye_rolling applies.

5 Likes