In it for the long haul and Plug and Play laser recommendations for the mean time

That appears to be incredibly over priced. It seems for some reason at this point in time all the chinese laser cutters ive been seeing in the 40-50w are 3-4x as much as they are normally. Id give it some time. I paid $300 for mine and have seen them go for as little as $250.

No, no, no… cause look at that bright orange livery!

1 Like

These are really nice!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-40W-Tube-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-With-Water-Pump-/122196215786?hash=item1c737647ea:g:gMsAAOSw5VFWF3Pl

1 Like

With Discourse, it’s sometimes hard to tell what someone is responding to. At first, I thought you were saying the Ten-High laser was really nice. Now I see it was @bill_laba’s cards. I agree with you on that.

6 Likes

I snagged a Benbox… Because dinky little ones like that barely have a 1.5" x 1.5" engraving space, despite the machine being much larger.

1 Like

Those look kind of cute, I have to admit. And yeah, you don’t really realize how small the cheap box lasers are until you see them. All the photos make them look huge because they zoom in so close. :laughing:

I’ll be curious to see what you do with it!

1 Like

Careful with those. That’s coloured lasers. At that effect, it could take out an eye across the room if something happened to reflect the beam. Only work alone and with safety goggles.

I build a few but stopped since I found them too inherently dangerous. Seems like toys. Cuts like toys. But really dangerous for the eyes.

1 Like

That’s a nice beginners machine! Especially if you are diy handy.

Just check that you don’t get the ones driven by this sort of red board with huuge transistors. You can tell because it runs with a USB A to A cable. The other type frequently sold has a green board and uses USB B to A cable.

And check connections. Sometimes wires aren’t soldered or clamped but just wrapped with tape.

I have to agree with @peter_eduard regarding safety, I have a delta 3D printer that accepts a laser attachment at 500mW. Can’t really do much of anything except burn your eyes. Been really disappointed on how easy it is to kill the laser with electrostatic discharge. I’ve replaced 3 so far and have no interest in replacing any more. Lots of risk with hardly any gain.

I’ve seen the Glowforge in action at Bay Area Makerfaire and small lasers are not even in the ballpark; there is no comparison except for them both being lasers. Not trying to rain on your parade. Instead, my intent is to giving you enough information to make an informed decision.

I almost forgot. If you still want to work with a doide laser I would suggest heading to www.picengrave.com. They have done some amazing projects with diode lasers. The forum is really good for asking questions and getting some information.

1 Like

Ah - that’s not a K40 @nosdefalcao - it looks MUCH better! (And as @takitus notes - is more expensive).

This machine has got twice the work area of the standard K40 chassis. It is also longer, heavier and got a “proper” 40W laser.

I have never seen that one before - and I saw a handfull of Chinese machines. :wink: