In Line Fan - Just Do It

I believe you mean “cut it to chunks with the laser”

7 Likes

I’ve always imagined it would be something similar to the copier scene in office space lol

7 Likes

Settings?

8 Likes

Can’t, this isn’t BTM.

8 Likes

OMG OMG you guys!
Here is a terrible video, but I didn’t even have to turn the tv up to watch it with Erich running right next to it!!!

:squeee: :squeee:

https://youtu.be/PrRqK6e2U20

Thank you @raymondking32 for making this post and @eflyguy cuz you’re the one who finally made me just do it!

5 Likes

I told ya!! It’s life altering.

3 Likes

Okay weird, my brain heard “Short Skirt / Long Jacket” by Cake at first. I must be short on sleep.

Ditto. Now who’s going to make me finally get around to hooking it up? Just maybe @deirdrebeth.

3 Likes

What is the distance or length you are using? Does it make a difference? My forge is right in front of my window that I am venting out of. Would I need to move it further away?

1 Like

which fan did you end up with?

1 Like

This one :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t think so - I’m using a 4’ hose and the majority of that length is going down from the level of the forge to the level of the window and if you look at the video it’s crammed right in there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s the hole in the window you’ll need - get on that! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ok, i’ve had that one in my list (along with a couple of others) for a while. time to commit to it and give it a try. and to start thinking about mounting and hose configuration. don’t get a lot of time to think, it’s a “delivers tomorrow” item in prime.

4 Likes

Get yourself 3 quart bottles of V-8, you can use 2 liter soda bottles but the V-8 has ridges that can grab the connection better. Once you have the empty washed bottles it is hard not to make use of them when they are staring at you.

4 Likes

Installed! Lovely.

8 Likes

I admit I feel a bit sheepish, I thought there is no way this will reduce the noise that much…
and low I was right…

it reduced it more…

:rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

8 Likes

Just Do It…just did it! Holy cow what a difference! Now I can run the GF without fear of waking my wife up during the day since she works night shift.

I do have a question though for anyone running the 6" AC Infinity. What setting are you running the dail at? Full speed or a partial setting?

2 Likes

I have the 6", and it’s been good. On my broken (for now) machine, it seemed that at full power, it wasn’t good enough. In my second machine that came yesterday, it seemed like full power was plenty, but I haven’t gotten a chance to see if my new set up is actually better than the old or if it’s the difference in internal vacuum between the machines that’s doing it. We’re in the middle of unpacking after moving into a new place, so I haven’t had a chance to really burn some material. Here are some pics of my (messy) setup.

The forge on the right is out of commission until I get a part next week, and I may have to invest in a second fan for it, because like I said in my original post, it’s a game changer on sound. Also, don’t want the new neighbors to hate me :grimacing:

Bonus pic of the view from our bedroom:

11 Likes

So just set up this inline fan…I cant say enough about how insanely this has changed the sound situation in my studio!!! I can now sit here and finish projects without having the blast the music over the forge or have people talking . Would have been grand if they had a fan less glowforge model in the mix and then sold fan on the side. Either way this is a wonderful addition… Honestly just not competent in myself to try and open the glass top to remove the fan. I know id break it somehow, thought about bringing the Dremel the cut off the honeycomb. but when I was about to start cutting , just couldn’t bring myself to. I haven’t had one issue( knocking on all the wood) since I received my forge 3 years ago. So this was a wonderful help. Any ideas or pointers to remove the honeycomb would be welcomed:)

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.