Indoor Dryer Vent

I have not one ounce of artistic ability in that regard. It’s just one of the many reasons I’m opting for a multi-thousand dollar gadget over a $10 paintbrush! But it will all work out, even if I have ugly plywood for awhile.

sometimes you just have to find the right pattern for something like this and engrave it. even the waves pattern that you get for free might look nice engraved on a piece of wood (as opposed to just a plain ole piece of wood).

1 Like

Hey sorry for the late reply, I saw what you linked. Unfortunately that wouldn’t work for my windows. I wish I could have something that convenient. Will keep it in mind when I move though.

Right that’s the trouble I’m in too. Not crazy about putting a whole in the wall, also sorry for the late reply

1 Like

Thanks for the info, until I move I’ll have to just make do with my current set up. Sorry for the late reply by the way.

1 Like

If it’s a typical maker space they likely have a large CNC mill such as a X-carve or ShopBot. Either will happily cut a large plywood or acrylic sheet. Sure it’s louder and messier than a laser, but works very well.

2 Likes

That being said when I got my PRU I wasn’t ready, so just took a plywood scrap board (I had some 3/4" sitting around) and since a dryer hose is a standard 4" I used a 4.25" hole saw to cut a hole with a drill. Took 30 seconds to do and was all set. No laser or CNC mill required.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLU-MOL-4-1-4-in-Xtreme-Bi-Metal-Hole-Saw-5880B/205546519
is what I used

Oh, and that’s how I permanently installed it (same hole saw, through side of house and installed it permanently with a louvered opening)

Thanks! They do have all sorts of amazing tools in the wood shop, which I am not yet certified to use. I am sure someone would help, but I feel like cutting acrylic in the wood shop is frowned on. If I get desperate, I’ll ask, but I think we’re just going to install the vent. My husband doesn’t mind and right now it seems like the best-looking result with the least amount of work and possibly the least expense.

Probably not since CNC milling acrylic other than producing amazingly static-clingy sawdust doesn’t smell up the place like acrylic on the laser (it has a bit of smell from friction heating). If you provided your own end-mill (since acrylic seems to dull mills more quickly) people shouldn’t really mind. Obviously a dust collection system on the mill is preferred if available since acrylic dust sticks to everything…

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know. I feel like I saw something about it being frowned on in a random message, but since I don’t have access, I didn’t really worry about it. Next time I see one of the shop folks, I’ll ask just out of curiosity.

It seems that I can also just cut plexi with my dremel, so there you go. Still not going to do it, but at least I know I can cut down larger sheets if I need to.

I mean little bits of it, sure. But you aren’t cutting a big window sized sheet…

People do it. Then again, people do all sorts of crazy things. :wink:

Probably impossible to get a razor sharp edge like the laser of mill would. It’s like cutting a large sheet of ply with a saber saw vs. a table saw. Yes you can (and I have) but not even close to the same quality of cut when you are taking tiny bites.

Ok, so I haven’t tried it and I probably never will, but general consensus in what I’ve read is that it’s smooth enough for something like a window insert (i.e. this application) where you’re not going to be seeing the edges. I don’t need to debate the issue, since I haven’t done it, but just sharing for information’s sake. Is it the best tool for the job? Clearly not. But in a pinch, it’s an option.

actually you could use the dremel with their hole saw attachment to make the hole for the hose fittings. I will note that at least when I did this I had to put foam on top even with a clean circular saw cut to get a seal so smoke wouldn’t come in the window (whenever the wind blew towards the house)

1 Like

While I wait for my filter… I created a removable vent for my window using a large sheet of dry erase board I got from Lowes. Cut the board to fit my open window (cut slightly smaller). I used dry erase board because it’s durable but flexible. I trimmed and glued garage door rubber seal stripping around the board to help make a seal and insert/remove easier (reinforced with black gorilla duct tape). I cut a 4" hole I cut using a hole saw adapter into the dry erase board. Then I put in a 4" plastic vent cap from the opposite side that I just wood glued so I had a place to connect the hose from the GF. I thought, I need a way to hold on to this thing when putting in my window. So I went into the hardware section and just got a metal handle I screwed to the board. Works perfectly and virtually eliminated the exhaust smell without having to cut any holes in my walls.

1 Like

I did that for using the GF upstairs where there’s a/c but haven’t had to move it up there yet.

The dry erase board has a white surface so it sort of matches the gray siding on the house so it’s not terribly ugly. But it can also be laser engraved so you can put graphic artist on it. My wife didn’t like my cartoon burglar climbing out the window - said the neighbors behind us might see it and call the police. I need a new design now :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes