Inkscape scaling again

Funny enough, no. You only get that header in the “Save as” file. :crazy_face:

Wow. A lot of stuff in this thread.

Pixels per inch. It’s what software uses to determine how to scale something in the absence of real units.

Like Chris said, Illustrator uses 72 pixels per inch to represent an inch. The newer Inkscape uses 96. Browsers tend to use 96. And so on. I don’t believe it’s totally arbitrary, but it is a choice; 1/72 goes back to lead typesetting days. And 1/72 is approximately the size of a point (72 point text should be about an inch).

Like, Chris, I prefer to Export As in Illustrator and after setting my preferences, never had a problem. All to often, Illustrator forgets my Save As SVG preferences and I have to go back and select them all again. Kinda annoying if you aren’t real familiar with programs.

A few things can happen to alter sizing. The first is using Inkscape SVG. Inkscape uses SVG as it’s native file format, but it likes to inject its own proprietary code into the SVG. Most, of not all, is not recognized by the GF app. Even when re-saving from an Inkscape SVG to a Plain SVG, it will keep some of that code remnant.

Also, there is an option within for the bounding box: should be visual and geometric.

Visual will incorporate the size of the stroke into the displayed elements size. Geometric is only from node to node.

Yes and no. It identifies the aspect ratio (any 5:3 will work) and pins it to the top left (0-0 in the design space). It doesn’t necessarily scale it to fit the whole app art board, but it does know how to scale it at that point so the elements are the expected size. I mention it that way because I don’t know what happens if you have a true 5x3” art board and then have elements off of the art board.

So when you export as in Illustrator, it actually defines the workspace (or View Box) as X” by Y”. For example, 12x20”. The view box basically defines user units, and lets one make what are normally unitless numbers in an SVG correspond/map to to user units.

2 Likes

So I think I will use Export As in future, especially now that I’m using the current version of Illustrator CC.

1 Like