Inlay test

Wow. That’s sweet! Very cool effect

1 Like

Here is a great tutorial from :glowforge: staff member @dannyc i had forgotten about who was compelled to share his expertise regarding inlay fitting.

I had this bookmarked but had forgotten about it, and @marmak3261 linked me to it once when I was struggling with procedure.
Thanks @dannyc! :sunglasses:

Yes @Ryan.M and @dan, sweet how a surprise like that gives inspiration like a bucket of water in the face!
I don’t have a specific plan, but I’m pretty sure it revolve around fire!

Materials that play with light like that are a favorite of mine, either with a fibrous nature or a surface texture that sheen at you as you traverse the room.

8 Likes

How as God makes little green apples did I miss snagging that one for the tuts? (Putting it in there now…thanks for the reminder David.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Jules, there was a magnitude to weed through, we all thank you for all your time and work for the community’s benefit! :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Oh, my pleasure…I was killing time like everyone else. :relaxed:

5 Likes

Fresh out of likes, so have a heart-felt one… :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

It looks to me like the original wood is Lacewood? Or Leopardwood, Both have very interesting figures and growth patterns.

Other wood that has natural iridescence are Mahogany and Curly Maple.

At some point, I want to do a wooden Fire inlay on something that incorporates yellowheart (Yellow), Mahogany (Darker Orange), Leopardwood (Lighter Orange), and Bloodwood or Paduk (Red).

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m no authority on woods.
Your idea sounds great!

1 Like