Interesting way to remove smoke damage on a wood engrave

Awesome! Wouldn’t have expected it to be so simple.

1 Like

Bookmarked! :grinning:

1 Like

excellent, thanks

1 Like

Great! The abrasive is fine grain pumice.
I would work fast to limit absorption that would tend to slightly raise the grain especially on softer wood.

7 Likes

Yes, the Fast Orange product contains oils (in emulsion) and dampness that could raise the grain in the wood. Maybe someone knows of drier products with pumice or some other fine abrasive? Rock polishers have cans of fine abrasives that come to mind. - Rich

2 Likes

I plan to also try a damp melamine sponge. (aka: Magic Eraser) It’s abrasive on a microscopic level. (Excellent for scuffing up the surface on the printer PEI plate to make things stick, without damaging the finish on the bottoms of the prints.)

12 Likes

@Jules, the Magic Eraser is a very good idea. You don’t need to dampen it unless it is very hard. Wring out as much as you can and let dry a little before you use it. Make sure it doesn’t have bleach in it if you don’t desire that effect. Try on scrap first (as with any technique). - Rich

4 Likes

I use chem sponges all the time to remove dirt and odor from old bookS. I’m pretty sure they’re made for cleaning up after fires. You use them dry, and they don’t leave any residue and they aren’t abrasive. Which I suppose is a given considering I said I use them on books. Lol. I think they’re just porous rubber. When they get dirty, if you pull them apart, you can see where the dirt traveled inwards (I actually recommend pulling them in two when you first get them. Gives you more surface area for the money).

I have no idea how they’ll perform for cleaning up after lasering - maybe the grooves will be too tight to fully clean? - but I’ll plan on trying and will report back… in a few weeks when I get a glowforge in the mail :blush:

9 Likes

Those are great to remove soil from fabrics and upholstery.
(Wise old delivery guy trick)

3 Likes

You must have one hellacious sized mail box. Hee, hee,hee. - Rich

3 Likes

This appears to be an amazing tip, though all the link hopping is hilarious for such a simple thing…

Here you go everyone, lol. Save yourself some clicks, hug your family with the time you saved.:
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-25218-Orange-Cleaner-Pumice/dp/B000FW4MD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478128645&sr=8-1&keywords=Permatex+25218+Fast+Orange+Hand+Cleaner+with+Pumice%2C+1+Gallon

5 Likes

The permatex stuff is also sold at home depot, walmart, and every autoparts store.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Beauty in the details, nice to have your projects with spotless presentations. Thanks again!

I have that cleaner at home. Now I will have to try it on my next project. Thank you for sharing that.

Please share your results too. Maybe a before and after photo? - Rich

2 Likes

I keep a bottle (the jug lasts forever) with the laser. Also keeps me from using it for greasy oily hands and then when cleaning a wood piece having dirty fingerprints picked up and getting on the wood instead.

Get a dedicated semi-stiff brush for it. A good fingernail brush works well and is big enough to clean a decent sized piece without taking forever.

5 Likes

Who goes into a store these days? Prime now… to my door in 2 hours or less. :smiley:

3 Likes

I try to spend money at locally owned businesses if I have the option.
Prime is very convenient, no doubt, but there are plenty of reasons why someone might not want to be ordering a product online at any given time.

5 Likes

I too, prefer to shop locally whenever I can, but being in a tiny town, resources for certain things are limited. A drive to our capital city, about 20-25 min. can give me many more shopping opportunities, but still it’s a matter of being able to or wanting to drive that far. In larger cities, that amount of time would be meaningless. I actually found an item I needed as a subscription item on Amazon for less than it would take me to drive 10 min. to the local drug store. That puts local shopping in a very competetive state

6 Likes

It’s not for everyone, and I respect the choice of those who prefer not to use it, but online shopping a huge time- and gas-saver for me. Instead of driving 20-30 minutes to Denver/Boulder/wherever and checking multiple stores for product X, I can usually find what I need online. If I avoid McGuckins in Boulder for speciality hardware and tools, I can save lots of $$$, too! (You would not believe how much hardware from McGuckins is in orbit around the Earth! If they knew, they would raise their prices even further…)

6 Likes