Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

Hey, just a little note of thanks to @dan for keeping Snapmarks working! They’re vital to our business — acrylic refrigerator magnets are our top seller at most events.

Is snapmarks still functional? I have the icon on my screen, but it keeps failing. Confirmed the snaps are 2" off all sides, properly sized, etc.

Getting “An error occurred on your Glowforge. Please refresh your browser before printing. It may also help to turn your Glowforge off and then on again.”

Tried that and it doesn’t work.

Granted its been a while since I used it, but i have a passthrough project that it would be handy if it worked for…

File below:
Leather%20test

Let me check, last time I tried them they were working…

Edit: working great. I even made them have to work placing the material over an inch off and rotated slightly.

Work backwards, if you have used them before go back to a known good file and see it that works.

1 Like

Used the file above to score the file onto a piece of paper, didn’t move anything, asked it to scan for snaps and it failed on that too. Printed it on laser and on inkjet thinking I may have had something off. Black/white. I’ll see if I can run the old pencils one I had originally used.

Grabbed a fresh copy of the pencil tutorial and dropped it on the Glowforge. That’s not working either. Not sure what’s wrong.

Not sure what program you are using but the new version of Inkscape messes with the sizes of older files. I also found that the provided pencil template gets the snapmarks resized if brought into Inkscape. Maybe double check that they are the right size?

1 Like

Downloaded an unaltered version off web and tried (without opening)- failed
Opened a version in Affinity Designer, confirmed sizing was correct, exported and tried- failed
Opened an old file that worked in the past- failed.

Lights turn on a little brighter, there is a whirring noise (according to my daughter since the machine is in a different room than my computer). The head doesn’t move to locations above the snapmarks.

Not sure what else to try.

That is not a good sign. They may well be broken for you. When I tried them yesterday with a known good file I got my usual sub mm alignment but that test is done on bright white polyester with the marks printed.

Such an amazing feature! I used it yesterday and it worked great. Today I can’t get it to find the snapmarks. :frowning:

UPDATE: I found the issue - although my Inkscape drawing was showing as the expected size – for some reason when it was importing into Glowforge it was damaging it (grew in size). I copied out a clean copy of the paths I wanted and made a new Inkscape file from scratch, pasted the paths (along with the snapmarks) and it then worked! PHEW YAY

2 Likes

Follow the instructions closely. The beta is on hold at the moment and support is not answering operation questions for it. Make sure you did not resize or rotate the marks, keep them a couple of inches inside the bed boundaries, etc.

1 Like

I found the issue - although my Inkscape drawing was showing as the expected size – for some reason when it was importing into Glowforge it was damaging it (grew in size). I copied out a clean copy of the paths I wanted and made a new Inkscape file from scratch, pasted the paths (along with the snapmarks) and it then worked! PHEW YAY

1 Like

Change your Inkscape preferences to use 96 DPI for saving SVGs instead of the default 72, and things will import correctly.

Or just keep everything on 20" x 12" workspaces – the GFUI will recognize and scale correctly in that case.

2 Likes

Ah! Yes, thank you… That’s what the issue was… I had gotten the base/source SVG file from elsewhere, which is why it wasn’t set to my defaults and couldn’t figure out why Glowforge was importing it larger. Thanks!

1 Like

Very happy to come back to a continuing discussion here and a mention from Dan that they do hope to bring Snapmark out eventually. It is obviously a superior system from everything the testers here have reported, and will vastly improve my personal use cases for the glowforge when it’s finally implemented. If they ever need more beta testers I’d be thrilled to have access to it…

1 Like

Hey there hammerquil. I agree wholeheartedly with you that snapmarks were a great feature. In fcat, my Pro machine had the feature. It broke down, and the replacement did not. I asked for it to be enabled. The response was that a machine is either snapmark capable or not and that it wasn’t something that could be simply switched on. Oh, and that they had no way of telling which machines were snapmark compatible. So, they fixed my original machine and sent it back to me. Hence, my current pro is snapmark capable. I added that to a long list of mis steps, and bought myself a Thunderlaser instead. Twice the price, 10 x the machine. I am selling my Glowforge pro though. my email is christopher@goilx.com if you are interested.