Iron on transfer labels

Ahh, Papyrus.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Not even a lil’ bit sorry! LOL

2 Likes

if you’re going to go this kind of direction, you might want to look into the saddle collection at johnson plastics. i just picked up a few sheets, but haven’t engraved/cut any yet.

at $3/sheet for 12x24, pretty inexpensive. probably pretty consistent (looks like it, but again haven’t engraved any yet).

4 Likes

Ideally I think something two layer that I could engrave the top layer away to leave the lettering and then a peel off backing to pressure press on the pouch.

Intriguing! Thanks for the link.

People have posted some of their results with it: Experimenting with "leather"

1 Like

could you engrave directly into the felt bag?

Oh now that’s an interesting idea. I wonder of those bags are synthetic and would melt or what.

yeah, would need to know what the material actually was, lots of plastic stuff that’s called felt these days.

Otherwise, maybe using the GF to cut a template, and silkscreen the bags.

or maybe this method could work, using a polyester adhesive film instead of vinyl (so as to be able to cut the design in the laser).

1 Like

You could make HTV transfers easily on a Cricut type machine but weeding all those tiny letters, for every bag… that would get old really fast. Trust me, I do that kind of stuff, and I would not want to sign myself up for more than a few of those transfers.

Something that the laser can do almost completely, which you then attach to the bag, would be much more pleasant. Maybe you can use that leather stuff to make a tag, and hang the tag off the drawstring?

Or, if you want to do a transfer onto the bag, maybe there is a place that will sell you 100 ready-to-go-transfers.

1 Like

I doubt that because if you leave the iron on the felt too long it melts. Just 3 quick swipes with the hot iron, with a piece of parchment paper over the label, and it is adhered.

could you just use a fabric adhesive, like one of these??

https://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-AR12-2-No-Sew-fabric-Multicolor/dp/B00114RF8O

https://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-Fabric-Fusion-Permanent-Adhesive/dp/B00178QSE6

This would certainly speed things up, seems like?

1 Like

if the material is safe to laser, it could still be worth trying some tests. Comparing a hot-iron to a laser is maybe like comparing a Butcher’s cleaver to a scalpel… both go through flesh quickly, but one is a little more precise than the other, and maybe more suited to detail work!

Granted, it might still just end up as a melty, crackly, stiff mess.

1 Like

Since it is a felt pouch the thickness would not be consistent.
I would really like something like the Rowmark Laserlights where the top layer can be etched off and with an adhesive backing that would adhere to fabric.

How about cutting the label lettering out of the felt so you’d see the contents through it? To make it just slide a flat piece of stock inside the puch, laser, toss out the bits and the pull out the flat stock and replace with your pen. Maybe enough contrast to show the text.

You are buying the black felt pouches correct? Because if you’re having them made, then you should definitely look at the Johnson Plastics saddle collection. It’s easy to laser and should sew well.

That gets me thinking…

• Laser-cut text into the felt bag with a stencil font
  • Turn bag inside out
  • Apply spray adhesive like 3M 77 to the inside of the bag, using masking and an insert so only the area around the cuts gets gooped
  • Apply a contrasting felt color to the sticky area
  • Turn bag right side out
  • High-contrast lettering should be visible
1 Like

No I am not buying anymore for a while. I have about 800 in stock.

laser cut a stencil from… whatever… make it big enough to cover the entire bag (to prevent overspray)… quick hit with spray paint, just a thin coat… or maybe bleach via a misting spray bottle.

Quick, easy and repeatable.

I’d do just a logo, or “Pens by Larry” and toss a business card in with each one.