I often times finish my unfinished woods with Polycrylic after engraving and cutting. I have never finished them first with Polycrylic and then engraved or cut. I’m too afraid of causing a fire or damaging the machine. I was wondering if it would be safe for me to finish the wood boards with Polycrylic and then cut and engrave them after they have dried. I have included pictures of the exact product I use for finishing.
It’s always a good idea to search for the Safety Data Sheet when in doubt.
I looked it up and here are the hazards associated with burning it. I would not hesitate to laser it (with good ventilation) based on this:
At the MWR IN Hawaii, we used to pre-spray the wood because the a light sandin took off all the residue. I think we used a lacquer spray.
Do you know the brand?
So, this would be safe for the machine and my health based on this information?
Not off the top of my head it was back in 2002-2004. Probably delft lacquer spray. I think we also used watch wipe-on varnish. Both create thin skins and can protect and sand off easily.
Check out #4:
I wouldn’t want to inhale the exhaust but if you have it directed safely outside you should be good to go.
I use the brush-on version all of the time to make my own “Proof Grade” material.
It’s the only clear finish I use, mostly on PureBond ply from THD and Baltic Birch from Rockler. Takes many light coats to get a nice glass-hard finish on BB, but one is usually enough on PureBond.
Not a fan of the spray.
I just looked at #4 but I am not sure if that applies to Polycrylic. Did I miss something?
It’s all about what materials are dangerous, why, and a list of materials that you might be interested in. It may not cover polycrylic directly, but if you internalize everything in #4, you won’t have to wonder about new materials as they come to mind – you’ll have all the knowledge you need to make an informed decision on your own
Also, all the advice you’ve already gotten is spot-on.
So I just did a test and it didn’t flare up at all. No fire thankfully. The smell is pretty strong though. I have the exhaust directly going to the outside of my house. I can smell it some on the other side of the house, where as standard GF proofgrade barely had a smell at all. This stuff smells slightly like burned toast. I will just make a point of not being outside when I am cutting.
That is a very good choice. Best to be watching the laser at all times.