Is there such thing as a slot-width conversion program anywhere?

The design you posted is small. small enough that increasing by 50% would still fit on one sheet in the forge. Shrinking it by 25% would make for a tiny rocket.

Note: There seem to be some gaps in the nose section of the 4 small pieces ( top of the sheet) that will result in the part not being cut from the sheet.

Yea, free design. My problem with resizing till I get 3mm gaps is that I don’t have enough acrylic to make a huge rocket.

a 4 mm gap would shrink to 3 mm if you reduced the size of the part by 25% (or in inkscape scaled the part by 75%.) Your 3 mm thick material would not change so it would fit nicely.

I have fixed the issues with those 4 tanks and created 2 versions, one for 3 mm and one for 6 mm (or double the 3 mm parts).

6 mm version:

3 booster rocket for 6 mm sheets

3 mm version:
3 booster rocket for 3 mm sheets

6 Likes

That is amazing! When I get back from my honey-do chores, I will give it a run!

1 Like

I say “Boom - Bob’s your uncle” all the time and no one ever gets it. They give me weird looks. Not going to stop me however!

7 Likes

Here’s an equation for fixing the slots on any pattern. Measure the thickness of your material and subtract the kerf width – that’s your desired slot size (DS). Now measure the width of the slots in your pattern (S), and also make note of the total pattern width (P).

Multiply DS * P, then divide by S. That’s the width you need to scale the pattern to in order to have your desired slot size.

5 Likes

Excellent!

1 Like

I’m tempted to be a bored guy in California and try to build such an app :smiley:
But sadly I can be both bored, and incredibly busy :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Or put another way:

Which is also essentially how @shogun was saying to do it with percentages. It’s all the same method.

4 Likes

I had to look that up, because I had never heard it before. so for others like me/

“Bob’s your uncle” is a phrase commonly used in Ireland, the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries that means “and there it is” or “and there you have it” or “It’s done”. Typically, someone says it to conclude a set of simple instructions or when a result is reached.

6 Likes

I had to look it up too. If I had only read the rest of the thread, first, it would have saved me the search. But my curiosity was piqued. Lol.

2 Likes

Thank you for saying “piqued” and not “peaked.” That could have ruined my whole day. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Peak pique should you have peeked in and seen “peaked”, not “piqued”.

5 Likes

saw or seen?

1 Like

Saw is past tense, seen is a part participle and is usually half of a compound verb, so you’d need another verb to go with it.

“had seen” would work, and is arguably better because of the “ee” sound. IDK, sounds weird when I say it :wink:

(I bet english as a second language is a nightmare)

You know what I think you might be right. It’s a nightmare for first language too :wink:

3 Likes

This reminds me of “Begs the question”. NO it doesn’t! You can’t beg a question. You can beg FOR a question, so say that “Begs for the question”.

Begging the question is a circular fallacy that’s not correct.

4 Likes

Wait till you get a load of buffalo

3 Likes

I had this formula posted on my computer for the longest time :smiley:. It works-although you end up with another size, but most of the time that’s okay too!

I had to look this up! Wow, I had to read really slow for it to sink in!

That’s not what “begs the question” means. Traditionally it meant that the speaker was assuming the conclusion but has more recently come to mean “suggests the question”.

You are correct though that in the traditional sense that it’s a circular fallacy. That’s no longer the case as the language & usage has evolved.

2 Likes