JPPlus Saddle Collection Black "Leather-Like Sheet" Settings

Nope! It wipes clean really easily.

I think 450/10/170 is the setting that gave me almost the same results as the 450/ 8/195. They were really close. :slight_smile: It was just not quite as solid of color in the test. But I doubt you’d even see a difference in an applied situation. lol

1 Like

Can you amend your post to be more specific?

I assume 8 is power, but lpi and speed are less clear.

2 Likes

That’s zooms, pews, and wees.

2 Likes

English, please. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I guess I never posted most of my JPP stuff. It’s mostly just some simple journal covers I didn’t think people would find all that interesting:

I am engraving at 1000 speed, 30 power at 225 or 270 LPI (depending on detail).

Cutting at 245 speed and 60 power.

Scoring at 500 speed, 30 power.

I am using the same settings across all colors, including the black.

I optimized my cut settings at a slower speed to get consistency on some detailed cutting.

Note that my machine seems to be consistently under-powered compared to average, requiring a slowdown of 10-15 units off Proofgrade settings to get through Medium Proofgrade Draftboard. This highlights the need to do materials tests on your own machine.

8 Likes

Yes - I started to mention that (about tweaking settings for your specific machine) in my original post too and then got sidetracked. lol

I wanted to go back and test at full speed too but I was spending all my time testing and needed to get some actual items done. LOL I don’t know what happened to the test designs I made before.
I need to go re-do my test files and make them more complete/inclusive of everything I need, and just have them already ready to go and then I wouldn’t have wasted all this time.
Telling myself: must work on this this week lol

1 Like

A valuable post. Thank you.

3 Likes

It’s a long shot, but - has anyone used anything made from these sheets and washed it?

I am going to do some tests but if anyone else has experience with this, it would save me some time! :smiley: I didn’t find any info on the JPP site when I searched.

I got one of my projects fairly wet, but I wouldn’t say it counted as washing. I didn’t notice any material changes. From the composition of the material it isn’t clear what would happen over time to being washed.

saddle

I looked at all of these attachments, too! :smiley: And came to the same non-conclusion :rofl:

What do you think would be a fair test of whether or not is could be washed? Soaking overnight? Running through the washing machine? A simple dunk in a water bath?

I’m willing to help with testing.

I was thinking that I would try a few small test pieces of material glued onto probably 3 pieces of clothing with fabric glue (I’ll probably just use an old towel or t-shirt or grab something out of my donate bin lol). (I’ll make sure to follow the fabric glue instructions, if it needs to cure or something first.)

• toss two in the washing machine a few times.
  • let one air dry and toss the other into the dryer (I just want to see what happens lol)
  • handwash another one (which I expect to be fine).
  • I might also get a small laundry bag (for delicates) and put a patch in there just to see what happens, without adhering it to anything.)

For now that’s my plan anyway. I am probably going to go glue the test pieces on at lunch time and read how long it needs to set before I wash it. lol I’ll update you if I learn anything significant. lol
I also have at least 2-3 types of fabric glue… If I have time, I’ll do one for each scenario with each glue.

Don’t feel obligated to test also but if you do, that would be awesome!

1 Like

I have stitched some of the sheet material, so I’ll wash some without glue.

1 Like

I can’t hand-stitch at this point, so that is perfect. :slight_smile: :smiley:

ETA: I just glued 3 black patches (and it’s roughly 12:20pm my time Tues) with Aleene’s. 24 hrs till it’s washable so making this note so I don’t forget. LOL (I’ll do other colors later.)

I am soaking two of my tests. However, I just engaged in a chat with a rep from Johnson Plastics Plus. In answer to my question regarding laundering the Saddle Collection sheet material, the answer was that they recommend not getting the product wet.

1 Like

ohhhh really? Bummer. Do you think if we use some kind of sealant over it, it would protect it enough to just handwash it? dang it. lol

I soaked my test for a couple of hours. Threw it in a hot dryer for 20 minutes. I don’t see any degradation of the engrave or the material.
Before soaking

After soaking and dryer

3 Likes

This is encouraging!

Today I tossed the sample in with a load of laundry. Cold water, normal cycle high speed spin. Then into the dryer with the rest of the t shirts. No noticeable difference seen after the wash/dry.

2 Likes