Just a little helper

I’m sure someone else has discovered this, but I’ll share anyway. Rather than using something like a Q tip (which can leave fuzz behind) to put glue or paint on a small space, I discovered that using a pipe cleaner works fantastically! After you’ve finished using it, you can just cut the end off and continue using the same one for as long as it lasts.

19 Likes

or toothpicks…

9 Likes

or a 20-pack of kids paintbrushes for $1…

6 Likes

similar, but different, there are also things called “sanding twigs.” you can use them to sand tiny little spaces.

7 Likes

I’ve been using sewing needles, because sometimes I need a really small amount of glue.

6 Likes

I use the nearest exacto knife, then wipe clean - most often on my fingers.

6 Likes

12 Likes

Nice trick! I also like my needle bottles.

8 Likes

I like these, too. But, for painting not so much.

1 Like

What?! On my way to purchase some now. Thanks, @shop

2 Likes

yw. i don’t use them very often, but when i need one, they’re super handy.

1 Like

As it happens, a toothpick diameter is within the collet range of my handpiece, and charging the tip with compound allows access to very small areas that need to be smoothed/polished.

that sounds like it ought to be dirty.

4 Likes

Hehe, yeah, my hand has a much greater range of grip than the collet of my Foredom… :no_mouth:

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for my Amazon order for some similar bottles. Do you ever have a problem with the glue drying in the tip?

Yup, if you leave it uncapped it’ll clog. I use a standard bread tie, I strip the plastic coating on it, and the wire is the exact size and rigidity you need to clear the tube. I just poke it down in once or twice and the nozzle is good to go. I’m still on the first bottle I used for glue, 2 years and unknown number of refills later. Very handy.

2 Likes

Ah good to hear. Thanks.

i just use a standard sewing pin to push down on mine, but as @evansd2 said, putting the cap on immediately really takes care of it for the most part. i’m still on the first bottle, too, after about a year or so.

He’s not kidding. Like a minute can be all it takes to clog up a standard titebond woodglue nozzle. Sometimes you need to clear it, sometimes you can just squeeze a little harder and pop the clog.

I also find the denatured and water I keep in the same style bottles to be absolutely indispensable.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.