Just Add S'mores coasters

Here’s the 'Just Add S’mores coaster set, but with Padauk from Inventables swapped in for the flames:

Here’s some lessons learned from the build:

I used the Proofgrade settings for medium cherry hardwood for the Padauk. If I had to do it again, I would use the settings for medium basswood hardwood instead, as that produces slightly less char on the cut and leaves a more uniform and cleaner engrave.

There’s a crack in the base on the left. The fracture happened during the laminating and clamping operation, and likely resulted from the unfortunate alignment of the grain of the wood with the laser cut slot. So be careful to avoid directly aligning the wood grain with the edges of the slots. Also stack the two layers in the base with the grain perpendicular to increase the durability. Or use walnut plywood instead.

We had tried adding engravings to the flames, but keeping it simple, with the focus on the natural look of the Padauk worked out the best.

38 Likes

These are flaming awesome! And top tip on the grain/slot alignment :+1:

1 Like

That came out looking fantastic! Really great wood choice.

1 Like

Oh, that turned out great in the Padauk! (And I went shopping on Saturday at the local Rocklers and picked some up, so timing is excellent!) :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Paduk is just made to make flames! Did you also do the ends of the logs in something different?

1 Like

@rbtdanforth, we stuck with draftboard for the log ends. The grain from any of the other woods would have competed with the ring design.

1 Like

That’s a cuter design than I realized!

1 Like

Great wood choice, and tips

1 Like

Nice! Such a beautiful wood!

1 Like

FYI, I’ve posted more details on the settings I used for the Padauk, in the Beyond the Manual category:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/settings-padauk/20915
1 Like

Those coaster sets look great! The design, the wood, the way everything fits together…excellent work!

I just love the catalog designs. I wonder when we might get more? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful!