Just ordered Glowforge Pro!

We are excited to dive into the Glowforge community. First of many questions, looking to purchase a dedicated tablet or laptop for the Glowforge. Thoughts in the iPad Pro? Suggestions??

Thanks

7 Likes

Welcome to the community, and congratulations on your Pro! (Wish I’d gotten one…)

3 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome to our world! Your choice of computer won’t really matter…whatever you’re most comfortable using. The most important consideration in my opinion would be how you will create your work. I had an iPad pro when I got my GF over 4 years ago, but realized that I much prefer doing my design work on a larger screen (iMac). What design app will you be using? I use Affinity Designer, which is also available for iPad.

7 Likes

Not specifically about your question here but if you haven’t seen it this will be handy:

5 Likes

You can operate the Glowforge from any device that can see the internet. but to do any design work you will want to have as much screen as possible. I operate Inkscape and Gimp on dual screens and felt maimed when I had only one large screen for a while.

4 Likes

Thanks, I was considering Procreate.

2 Likes

Procreate is great for raster/bitmap artwork (engraves only) and iPad only. You’ll need a different app that creates vectors if you want to do any cutting/scoring design work.

2 Likes

Thanks, any suggestions ?

2 Likes

:arrow_up: :arrow_up:
If you need any mac advice to go with your Sparkly Shiny new Pro!
(jealous look)

Jonathan

2 Likes

I have an iPad Pro and you “could” use it as your primary but I would not suggest it because as @rbtdanforth said, screen size can be very important. I know nothing about Mac so if that is your thing I am no help but with a PC it does not need to be super new and powerful depending on what you plan to use for software. Inkscape and Affinity both will run fine on a pretty average PC.

If your budget goes that far, a iPad Pro is a great addition for when you are on the go. The iPad version of Affinity is right there with the PC and Mac versions.

4 Likes

You sound like a real “Pro”

• Glowforge Pro
  • iPad Pro
  • Procreate
6 Likes

…and your comment makes you sound like a real “snob”

1 Like

I don’t think he meant it that way (not the way he rolls). Just having some fun with wordplay is all.

8 Likes

Maybe get to know the community a little better before you start reading negativity into our weird brand of humor. I noticed all the “pros” too, and like @bwente, found it humorous. (In a totally benign hanging out with my friends sort of way.)

9 Likes

I agree…I’m sure he was not meaning it in a bad way.

5 Likes

I apologize if you took my wording in the wrong way. That wasn’t my intent. From you comments it sound like you were going with all the best in class products. I can’t wait to see what you make with them.

7 Likes

My bad, come from the auto technician world and there are always a lot of trolls on those forums. My apologies for taking it negatively.

10 Likes

Affinity Designer, Vectornator and Adobe Illustrator are available for iPad at various price points :slight_smile:

1 Like

one of my best friends was an audio snob, with his magnaplaners and his water balanced turntable, his tubed mcintosh audio amp and his B&O – He used to live at Stereo Exchange in NYC

he was VERY serious. … we are a lot more free wheeling and fun loving!

Jonathan

1 Like